Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Mountaineering
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Mountaineering The Mountaineering forum is for discussion that relates directly to mountaineering (alpinism, climbing).

Old 10-07-2007, 11:06 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Circuit 3.0
Sleeping Gear: Western Mountaineering Ultralite bag, Prolite 3 Short pad, Sea to Summit Reactor liner
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Sil

Camp XLA 210 Ice Axe: Used it?

I just bought the ultralight Camp XLA 210 ice axe. It's intended for "general mountaineering," not "roped" or "technical" climbing, per the manufacturer. That's OK, I have another (much heavier) axe for that.

I bought this axe to use as my "just in case" axe. At only 10.7oz, I don't mind carrying it if I think there's a chance I'll encounter one steep, snow-filled gully crossing.

However, after receiving the axe via mail order, I have to admit I have some doubts. The adze is so dull that it appears useless, but I don't anticipate having to cut steps on a backpacking trip. I really only care about being able to effectively perform a self-arrest, on snow no icier than what I can kick steps into with a burly leather boot.

Has anyone used this axe? What was your experience with it?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I own the Camp 210 axe, having bought it on sale last year. I have not used it under real conditions yet, but plan to very soon. It is freakishly light and appears comparable to my other axes in constuction, appearing that it'll do the job of self arrest. I really don't really care if the adze is dull since I wrap mine for protection anyway since I never use it. I'll post a TR here after the first time I use it in practice.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Sleeping Gear: Western Mountaineering Ultralite bag, Prolite 3 Short pad, Sea to Summit Reactor liner

Thanks, Hoosierdaddy. I'll do the same, after I have a chance to try it out.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Backpack: ULA Conduit
Sleeping Gear: 20F Down Quilt
Shelter: Bivy and Tarp

I have one, but haven't used it yet. However, I did once read a comment from a guy who had. His biggest complaint was the lightweightness worked against you when cutting steps and for that application he would have prefered a heavier axe with a steel head. His other comment was the thinness of the head wasn't the most comfortable on the hand for prolong use. Other then that, he says it was functional and the total weight insured that he would carry it more often. This of course was the reason I bought it.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I have used my xla 210 for general hiking in the winter when the terrain is very rough. It has worked out great and kept me from slipping into the very cold water more than once. I would like a similar axe with a hammer instead of the little shovel thing for my second hand.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

i did get out to do some hiking along the shore of lake superior, it was very windy and rather cold but was loads of fun walking the ridge right above the water and float ice. the axe served me well and kept me from slipping into the cracks in the ice. i was about 50 feet from shore on the ice, between 10 and 20 feet off of water level. I also did some practicing of self arrest and the axe seemed to perfrom well in the hard packed powder near the lake shore.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 03-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm
I also did some practicing of self arrest and the axe seemed to perfrom well in the hard packed powder near the lake shore.

Thanks, Herm! That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Sounds like a fun hike too. Sadly, I still haven't had a chance to use my axe, but soon...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner
I have one, but haven't used it yet. However, I did once read a comment from a guy who had. His biggest complaint was the lightweightness worked against you when cutting steps and for that application he would have prefered a heavier axe with a steel head. His other comment was the thinness of the head wasn't the most comfortable on the hand for prolong use. Other then that, he says it was functional and the total weight insured that he would carry it more often. This of course was the reason I bought it.

I can see where the weight and sharpness of the cutting edge could work against that. But as Flyingyetiman said, it is for a "just in case" scenario. But if the just in case actually happens, I hope that the pick will do the job. If anyone has used it to self-arrest for real, please post a response - thanks.