Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backpacker's Health & Safety
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacker's Health & Safety The Backpacker's Health & Safety forum is for the discussion of health and safety/survival issues that directly relate to backpackers.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo

i'm no fan of pumping. i've done it in the past, it works, but oy, what a pain in the back.

Aquamira’s Water Treatment drops have worked really well for me going on 2 years now.
When it comes to the filtration part, I swear by “ diesel filters” . Though designed for filtering dirty bacon oil and the like they work fine with water. They’re shaped like the finger-pouch end of a mitten, are ultra-lite, filter to 1 micron, and do a liter in a couple of minutes. Maybe their best feature is no pumping! For more dope just google “1-micron diesel filters for backpacking”.
Back to the drops: there’s really nothing to the mixing assuming you have normal dexterity and no extreme weather conditions. I mean, maybe in a gale it would be a challenge…I’ve done it at night under Petzel light with no problem.
dsuursoo, like you I go solo in hot climes, often swilling 6 liters a day. Usually I hit only one water source every 24 hours or so.
I can’t think of any downside to diesel filters or Aquamira drops. Only if I expect to run into severely polluted or chemically polluted water do I switch to my trusty First Need system.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haclil
...I swear by “ diesel filters” . Though designed for filtering dirty bacon oil and the like they work fine with water. They’re shaped like the finger-pouch end of a mitten, are ultra-lite, filter to 1 micron, and do a liter in a couple of minutes. Maybe their best feature is no pumping! For more dope just google “1-micron diesel filters for backpacking”....

So, you are are taking a fuel filter for a diesel engine and using it to filter water?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraildreamer
So, you are are taking a fuel filter for a diesel engine and using it to filter water?

Sure seems like it. I can imagine if it's never been used for anything else... But there are a lot of filters intended for water that would do the same job.

Still, it's an inventive approach
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 09-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

dsuursoo,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Yes, the Sawyer Mini in the rigged gravity setup was quite fast. You could easily take a mid day break by setting it up, chilling for a few minutes while grabbing a bite to eat and resting your feet, filling your water and hitting the trail.

The Rio Grande is so silty you can year the grit hitting the side of the boat. If it filtered that pretty swiftly, it won't slow you down on the trail. Just be sure to back flush as necessary.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraildreamer

Yes, and of course you use them fresh out of the package. I should have emphasized that they are designed to filter bio-diesel, not regular diesel fuel.

They're simple bags made of sparkling white synthetic felt. BTW they are easily backwashed.

You want to use some kind of filtration with Aquamira drops since the drops don't kill all parasites.

Do a quick google as I suggested and you'll see: they offer no fuss, no pumping, minimal bulk & weight.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:53 AM

All -

thanks for the replies, they really helped.

as it turns out, *I* did not need to buy a filter - my wife went and got me one for my birthday. guess she snuck in and read this thread...

she went with the aqua mira bottle/filter set - the filter's fully removable and fits standard-diameter tubes so i can use it as a gravity filter, AND have it in the bottle ready to go for pit stops. already tested it and it draws just fine - so i didn't get one of the locked-up filters.

about the only issue i can see is the approx 100 gallon life - sawyer gets away with a far longer lifespan but they lack the carbon filter, which i think is how they do it. but replacement filters are plentiful - i could even stick a sawyer one in there and have it work .
Quote:

Grandpa dsuursoo,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Yes, the Sawyer Mini in the rigged gravity setup was quite fast. You could easily take a mid day break by setting it up, chilling for a few minutes while grabbing a bite to eat and resting your feet, filling your water and hitting the trail.

The Rio Grande is so silty you can year the grit hitting the side of the boat. If it filtered that pretty swiftly, it won't slow you down on the trail. Just be sure to back flush as necessary.

yeah, the Rio as i remember is REALLY silt heavy - up here i won't have to deal with that so much except on the columbia(and i'm not that keen on drinking from the lower half of the columbia, myself ). up here it's that super fine glacial flour that makes the lakes really pretty but gums up filters fast. going to be putting together a good back-flush kit before the next warm-weather season.

pretty nice birthday present.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

As far as 100 gallon life span is concerned, I don't know that I've treated a hundred gallons in all my hiking expeditions--which probably means I need to get out more!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 AM

yeah i'm figuring on a one year lifetime for the filter itself, maybe more depending on how next spring/summer go.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haclil
When it comes to the filtration part, I swear by “ diesel filters” . Though designed for filtering dirty bacon oil and the like they work fine with water. They’re shaped like the finger-pouch end of a mitten, are ultra-lite, filter to 1 micron, and do a liter in a couple of minutes. Maybe their best feature is no pumping! For more dope just google “1-micron diesel filters for backpacking”.
I hope you are talking about using the 1 micron filter WITH the drops ....
"
  • Protozoan cysts (Cryptosporidium parvum, Giardia lamblia). Tiny (1 to 300 microns; 1 micron = one-millionth of a meter).
  • Bacteria (Escherichia coli, or E. coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni, Yersinia entercolitica, Leptospira interrogans and many others). Very tiny (0.1 to 10 microns).
  • Viruses (hepatitis A, rotavirus, enterovirus, norovirus, Norwalk virus). Exceptionally tiny (0.005 to 0.1 micron). Viruses are rarely found in North American wilderness waters. Only purifiers (not filters) eliminate viruses.
I've had Giardia from nothing more than a small amount of contaminated water running into filtered water while filtering.... It is not a pretty thing hahaha.
Using the 1 micron diesel filter would allow anything 1 micron and under to pass - I wouldn't recommend it as a primary. Will make a nice light pre-filter though.
My filter use is about 50/50 between a pump and a sawyer product - If you cannot wait for the sawyer to work in a gravity situation you can give the dirty bag a gentle squeeze - and a simple bit of tubing will let you flow water back up into a bladder without issue.same with a pump.