Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

40-55L Backpack - Do I Ask for impossible??

I'm looking for a backpack.

Price (almost) does not matter, I'd like to buy model, that fulfill my needs:
  • about 45-55 liters
  • no more that 55cm high to fit in as a carry-on flight luggage limit (it is ok if the height is bigger, as long as I can compress it for a moment when not fully packed if airport crew would like to measure)
  • 24cm minimum width inside the main chamber (the A4 document briefcase should fit in the inside pocket)
  • 2 zipper chambers in the top cover - bigger accessible from outside, smaller for documents - only from inside
  • straps to attach foam rubber mattress
  • flat (not curved) back
Nice to have:
  • splitable main chamber, with front access (in example Deuter ACT Lite 40+10)
  • 3d waist belt (like Berghaus Bioflex 45)
  • extra pockets outside for small jacket
  • straps to attach foam rubber mattress
Why can't You (producers) make a top model in every "size class" that would fulfill the requirements?

Even the 'Berghaus Bioflex 45' that is my currently winning option, requires sacrifice of joy:
  • the top zip-chamber is poorly designed, it opens at 3 sides, the zips are to loose - the only way to make it work would be to use needle+thread to limit opening range.
  • the materials are light - this is ok - but the they feels plastic and week - I've doubts about durability compared do Deuter backpacks.
  • the inside chamber is less than 24 cm wide
  • no straps for the foam rubber mattress

The second-best option:
Deuter ACT Lite 40+10:
  • too high - 60cm afrer compression - almost disqualifies the backpack
  • no front access to main chamber
  • waist belt not movable

Nothing! No matter the price!
It's like You (producers) produce bags, but You don't know how.

Do You know any suitable product?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I don't know of a product that fits your description, but I'll make a couple of observations:
1) Most packs will have some way of letting you add straps to the outside of your pack so you can carry sleeping pads, etc. I don't think that feature needs to be built into the pack per se. In fact, if you find a pack that's right except for that feature, you should be able to buy delrin patches from a good outdoor outfitter that you can sew on to your pack to add straps if the pack doesn't already have a way to add them. So I think that requirement should be your lowest priority.

2) You can add aftermarket pockets to the outside of your pack. I have large ones that add maybe 500ci to the sides of the pack, and they attach by means of the compression straps that are already attached to the side of my pack. In your case, having removable pockets might be preferable anyway, to keep down the overall outer dimensions. So I think this should be a very low priority, too.

3) Regarding the flat back, if you find something you like with conventional stays that give a curved back, you can probably pull the stays out of the pack for travelling, and then put them back in when you're ready to haul your load. (Some packs have stay pockets that make it harder to put the stays back in, though...)

I personally think the best requirement to start with would be whether you need a removable waist belt. It's somewhat uncommon in high end packs (but by no means unheard of), and looking for a manufacturer that makes removable belts will probably result in a "short list" of acceptable packs pretty quickly.

Sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question. But I hope the suggestions will help you find the right pack. Let us know how your research progresses!

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by GGervin : 06-19-2015 at 10:15 AM.