Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Wilderness Photography
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Wilderness Photography The Wilderness Photography forum is for the discussion of photography (videography) gear, experience, and technique as it directly relates to wilderness photography. PBF members may also post self-owned photos that have been uploaded to the PB Gallery or as post attachments. Offsite links and offsite photos are prohibited. Please see ("sticky") instructional post located at top of threads.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfield
That is a very nice camera. Fairly lightweight and the optical zoom is pretty incredible - 25mm to 500mm with image stabilization. Weight is respectable also at 7.4 ounces.

Yeah, so far so good. One of the things that made me upgrade from one of its predecessors is its faster focusing ability and its decreased shutter lag. I don't like the delay that some of these compact cameras can have when taking shots. Of course, the DSLR spoils me.

Reality
Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwalker
I have an Olympus "mu" weatherproof pocket camera at the moment...

I have been considering buying a Nikon D90 body and a Tamron lens, for those trips where weight isn't too critical, for a bit more flexibilty and a wider range of possibilities..

I finally "bit the bullet" in December, a full year after I wrote the above post, and bought myself a new DSLR, during the Christmas sales ...

'Time marches on', they say - so I ended up buying a Nikon D7000 body - not the latest 7100, but it is a few hundred dollars cheaper (the price of an extra lens !); along with two Sigma lenses (18-250 mm zoom, and a 10-20 mm 'wide view'); plus a Monfrotto tripod and Case Logic brand carry-bag..

This D7000 is a 16 Megapixel SLR, the model above the older D90 body. I will report further on this when I have taken a couple of thousand more photo's ~ but until then, what I can say for now is that it does seem to be pretty good value in the "bangs for the bucks" department !

Last edited by Bushwalker : 02-02-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Congrats on the new photography equipment. Sounds like an awesome setup.

I've been buying used cameras lately. If you can get a lightly used middle to high end camera, they seem to hold up pretty well. You can get some pretty decent savings too.

Looking forward to seeing some of your upcoming photos.

Darryl