Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
© 2006-2014 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: ULA P-2
Sleeping Gear: WM Versalite
Shelter: The night sky

12 lb list

Pack Weights

Pack + Sleeping Gear + Shelter

ULA P-2 Pack, Pack Rainfly 2 lb 9 oz (41oz)
Western Mountaineering Versalite sleeping bag , stuff sack 2 lb 4 oz (36 oz)
Thermarest 3/4 ultralight pad , stuff sack 1 lb 1 oz (17 oz)
Bibler Bivy 9 oz

Total 6 lb 7 oz (103 oz)

Clothes

DriDucks Rain Jacket and Pants 8 oz
Montbell Down Inner Sweater 7 oz
Patagonia capilene long sleeve shirt 6.5oz
Gramicci nylon long sleeve pants 7 oz
Mtn Hardware Fleece Hat/gloves 3 oz
1 extra pair socks/undies 3.5 oz

Total 2 lb 3oz (35 oz)

Ditty Bag

baggiesss
matches
compass
map/wilderness permit
bandana
toothbrush/paste/floss
sunscreen
chapstick
lotion/razor
shampoo
camera/battery
bug repellant
arch support
iodine
led lights
needle/thread
minerals etc

Total 1 lb 12.5 oz (28.5 oz)

Water Bottle 6 oz
Ursack 6 oz
Titanium Cup/lid 3 oz
Reading Glasses 3 oz
Silnylon daypack 3 oz
Kindle 8.5 oz

Total 1 lb 13.5 oz (29.5 oz)

Optional

stove/fuel tabs
sunglasses
whistle
walking stick
binoculars
altimeter
sandals
bathing suit
nature guides
tripod
mosquito headnet
crampons
pillowcase
groundsheet
radio/batteries

Grand Total (with 0 optional items) 12 lb 6 oz

Wearing (not included in weights)
Ball cap w/flaps
Nylon Tee
shorts
gaitors
socks/undies
Running shoes
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Mariposa Plus / REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Eureka Silver City / Lafuma WnL 600
Shelter: Tarptent Squall 2 / Appy Trails Mark V

What is up with the 6 oz water bottle? Is that a Nalgene?

Glenn
Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 AM

I weighed some Lexan/Polycarbonate water bottles I have here, a couple of weeks ago...

A couple of thicker walled ones (a 'Nalgene' 1 litre widemouth, and a copycat..) weighed something like 5.3 and 5.7 ounces (150-something grams..);

A thinner walled 750 ml bottle and a white 'HDPE' bottle weighed between 2 and 3 oz. each..

A couple of those collapsible type bottles, including a Nalgene ~ seem a better bet at 2.3 oz for 1.3 litre capacity. Just a pity they're so pricey, still..

AS FOR "Ndwoods" 12 lb list :

* What are those "minerals, etc."
* I don't own a Kindle ~ that's weight I will waste somewhere else..
* Half those "options" (e.g: stove, sunglasses, whistle, walking pole..) could be considered as "essentials" for where I sometimes go;
* I don't carry a pillowcase, crampons or headnet, down here..

On the other hand, I would tend to carry more in the way of first aid and repair/emergency kits; and my backpack isn't a lightweight model...

I reckon Ndwoods could succeed in his kit being 2 or 3 lbs lighter than my typical outfit for an overnighter, or just a few days..
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwalker

AS FOR "Ndwoods" 12 lb list :

* I don't own a Kindle ~ that's weight I will waste somewhere else..

I reckon Ndwoods could succeed in his kit being 2 or 3 lbs lighter than my typical outfit for an overnighter, or just a few days..

I am always impressed by someone who can make a packing trip out of 12lbs. My hat is off to you! I am even more impressed at the attempt to lighten the load further.

I will say that some of us have an addiction to reading. No, I will not go to a 12 step group for it. (I'd just have to read more books on 12 step and addiction, so it wouldn't really work anyway...) Without an e-reader, I've found myself trying to cap book weight at about 1.5lbs., and that's rather severely limited my reading material as it is. One field guide, a journal, a Bible, and one pleasure book of my choice. I've literally decided on pleasure reading in light of pack weight, and it's often been the same book - a particular translation of "Volsung Saga" because it's lighter than everything else I might want to bed down with.

I just got a 5 oz. compact e-reader, and it's already loaded with the paper equivalent of 30lbs. of books. If you really can't do without reading (and I will readily admit I can't), a Kindle may not really be wasted weight at all.

There is a possibility for an e-reader to serve multi-purpose, since many of them can display .pdf files. All my topographic mapping software permits saving maps to .pdf format, so an e-reader could serve as a back-up map in addition to reading material. (This will depend heavily on the e-reader, since some are better at displaying .pdf's than others, and some have better screens for graphics than others.)

Just my 3 cents worth, but in my world, the e-reader is saved weight, not wasted. Others may well disagree.

P.S. The comments on water bottle weight is great, since now I'm re-evaluating my own choices in light of this.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGervin
.................................................. ...........................
I will say that some of us have an addiction to reading. No, I will not go to a 12 step group for it. (I'd just have to read more books on 12 step and addiction, so it wouldn't really work anyway...) Without an e-reader, I've found myself trying to cap book weight at about 1.5lbs., and that's rather severely limited my reading material as it is..........................................

Just my 3 cents worth, but in my world, the e-reader is saved weight, not wasted. Others may well disagree.
I'm not averse to the idea of a Kindle or other e-reader ~ rather, it's the fact that I simply don't own one (I'm also still mulling over whether to step up and buy an iPad/tablet instead ~ heavier and costlier, but more functions ~ but at the same time there's no hurry for me, either..).

I read a fair bit day-to-day, so I reckon I could comfortably go a few days on a hike without reading. I never take a Bible with me travelling; and as for leisure/pleasure reading, I found years ago that I rarely read them when I packed them - so now I don't bother to carry them either.

The few small books I will carry ~ first aid, survival, repair guide, any field or travel guides ~ could be a couple of ounces each, so that's maybe half a pound. Add a few maps and a notepad, and that jumps to half a kilo' pretty quick (Half a kilogram = 1.1 pounds..)

SO, from that point of view - an e-reader or tablet could save over half a pound !
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: ULA P-2
Sleeping Gear: WM Versalite
Shelter: The night sky

The heavy bottle and the kindle

Yea, I actually would have to dig my bottle out and weigh it again as this list is actually kinda old. But, I know the bottle is a bit heavier. It's a bicycle type bottle that's taller with the "waist." I have a P-2 and the P-2s have a little mini bungee cord setup on your shoulder straps so you just carry a water bottle and drink as you go. Kind like camelbaking except with a bottle so much easier to refill etc. I love this set up. I could prob find a lighter bottle with a "waist" tho.....
And yes, kindles. I too have toyed with a tablet. But not willing to spend the money yet, have other things on my "buy" list. But even if I got a tablet, I would not part with my kindle. I have the basic one with the little keyboard on the bottom and I can read 6 books on a charge! And it weighs less than one paperback. I think they have others that weigh less than mine too. Just a note for anyone who might buy one....the Barnes and Noble Nook does not have free books or easy access to them. I have bought dozens of free books for my kindle.....all the old classics and American History like "kidnapped by indians" one of a dozen true stories from the settling of the west, and all of edgar rice burroughs books etc etc etc are all free.
Sponsored links