Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I need a compass

I've got a cheapy compass that I got at Wal-Mart to keep me out of trouble, but I'd really like to learn how to use one in conjunction with topo maps. I'm looking for tips on what's necessary, useful, a waste of money, and brands to look for/not.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 PM

Compass features

A few starters to look for:

Base Plate: Long enough to reach between points on the sort of leg-to-leg navigation that you intend; increases accuracy instead of guesswork on the longer legs.

Luminous Points: if you intend to work early/late, luminous markings make a whole lot of difference.

Scale: Make sure that the outer edge of your compass base plate has the most common map scales readily accessible; if you use 1:50 000 maps and the 1:25 000 scale is against the outer side of your compass, you are destining yourself to unnecessary mental math when you may be tired or distracted.

Romer: If you need to plot grid references, a romer in the right scale can be helpful.

Magnifying lens: how is your eyesight? There is more detail on the map than most people realise; can you scrutinise it properly?

Cord Loop: If it isn't tied to you, you might as well throw it away right now...

Brand: Brands are less important than accurate features. You might like to do an accuracy check with a friend who has a compass which is known to be accurate. Is there any variation? ' If in doubt, throw it out'.

Bubbles: A bubble in the liquid is the signature on a death certificate of a compass; say goodbye and start again.

Any other suggestions ?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:24 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

A baseplate compass is a good one to start with - and will see you through most of the typical navigational needs that backpackers face. There are other, more advanced models, but a common baseplate compass should suffice.

A basic one to consider is the Brunton Nexus Expedition Compass (3DLU).

If you're near an REI, you can take a free compass clinic there. Also, there are books that can be of great help.

Brunton, Silva, and Suunto are all good brands.

Reality
Old 05-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

If you are into serious orienteering, a compass that offers adjustable declination is important. Take a look at the Silva Ranger - I take mine with me just about everywhere.

Silva Ranger 530 Ultra Compass

Happy Hiking!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

hikerjohnd,

That's a good compass. I have one similar, but it's a Brunton (more features).

The weight of the Silva Ranger 530 Ultra is not bad either at 2.4 ounces.

Reality
Old 05-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
If you are into serious orienteering, a compass that offers adjustable declination is important. Take a look at the Silva Ranger - I take mine with me just about everywhere.

Silva Ranger 530 Ultra Compass

Happy Hiking!

I second the Silva Ranger nomination... 'tis what I use and it's a fine specimen of compassry.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 05-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I can see that this is definitely the type of tool that I can start with something reasonably priced and work my way up as I learn to use. I'm not a bushwacker (yet) so I ought to get by with something under $20, but with the features I need to go to the next step or two on the skill scale.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutitout
I can see that this is definitely the type of tool that I can start with something reasonably priced and work my way up as I learn to use.

That's a reasonable approach. It's the same approach I once had, which is why I have a $20 compass (a Silva Guide) as well as a Ranger and a Ranger Ultra. My wife inherited the Ranger, and I keep the Guide in my car.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

I have the Brunton 8099 Eclipse

the Silva Starter

and a tiny little compass with a sighting mirror that is more of an emergency backup in my first aid kit.

I have also used the Silva Ranger extensively and I can vouch for its usefulness.

Last edited by WildlifeNate : 05-14-2006 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2006, 10:59 PM

I bought a Suunto M-2D Locator compass yesterday for $15. Now I need to find a beginners class at REI & a USGS map to mess around with.