Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear Workshop
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear Workshop The Gear Workshop forum is for the discussion of homemade backpacking gear, gear modifications, and repairs.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Make a backpack with internal frame smaller?

Hi,

I got an Osprey Farpoint 70 backpack as a present, and I realize it's a bit too big to bring on board airplanes (hand luggage size). I have flown with it once, and nobody complained, but I know that someone will the moment I get on a budget airline flight.

It has an internal steel frame (the thin type that flexes a bit). Do you know a way to cut or bend the frame, to allow for a shorter total length. It's just the steel frame that makes it too big. In all other aspects it's up to me, how I pack things inside.

Thanks for advice!
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Hi Laban, welcome to the forum. I don't have personal experience with the pack you have, but I'd start by observing that Osprey packs are very highly regarded, the Farpoint 70 does have some very positive internet reviews, and it might be a mistake to permanently alter anything. One option you'd have - if this particular pack just isn't going to work sizewise - is to sell it and get something that does suit you. (Maybe even have a little money left over? Ospreys aren't cheap.) But once you bend or cut something, it will get harder to resell it. Just a thought, don't know if that idea suits you.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Welcome aboard.

I'd also look into simply removing the frame from the pack. You might be able to do soas a feature. Many packs have removable suspension/framing, especially the upper end ones.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-22-2014, 04:02 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Thanks for the tip. I noticed that the internal frame might be possible to remove. It would be great if I could remove and insert the frame as I like, to use the same backpack on planes and for hiking.

The frame has the general shape of an upside-down U. It's threaded through the backpack's "canal"(?) and the two ends have been slid into "pockets". The frame itself is exposed a bit above each end.

The problem is that everything is so tight that I don't see how I can slide the ends out of their pockets. The frame flexes a bit, but not THAT much. Any tips on how people have managed to remove frames like this?