Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Wash / Clean Backpack

For those who've come to the point of cleaning or washing a backpack, how did you go about doing it?

I've done this a few times over the years. I've used a mild detergent and cleaned a couple by hand, and I've also put one in a mesh laundry bag and used a washing machine (gentle cycle) with mild detergent.

This has a lot to do with the materials of the backpack.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

It is rare that I've had to do much to a pack other than wipe down the fabric. However, this summer was very fortunate in that I spent almost 4 whole weeks on the trails in New Mexico in 2 week increments. As I was unpacking my bag I noticed a definite funk emanating from the back that gets soaked when I sweat. I used a very gentle soap and hand washed the back and shoulder straps, rinsing very thoroughly. I placed my pack over a chair for support while it dried. The funk has not completely gone away but is very much diminished.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

What about MiraZyme? Has anyone used that?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippikiyo
................... As I was unpacking my bag I noticed a definite funk emanating from the back that gets soaked when I sweat. I used a very gentle soap and hand washed the back and shoulder straps, rinsing very thoroughly. I placed my pack over a chair for support while it dried. The funk has not completely gone away but is very much diminished.

I reckon if that pack and chair was left out in the sun and weather for a few days, then you could find that all remaining smells will disappear pretty quick..
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

I've washed a couple. I used a minimal amount of detergent and washed with slightly warm water in the bathtub. Then rinsed very thoroughly.

As for the funk mentioned above, I would recommend maybe looking into those anti-bacterial denture cleaning tabs that people soak their dentures in over night. I can't make any promises that they won't hurt any fabrics, but I have Vibram trail shoes(which I highly recommend) and that's how they recommend cleaning their shoes to get the funk out. You'd probably need a whole package of denture tabs for a backpack. Just get the generic brand and they don't cost much. I usually use ~5 tabs on my shoes in a small laundry sink filled just enough to cover the shoes, and it does work. I bet they would de-funk a backpack.