Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

View Poll Results: Which do you most often use for your backpacking drinking water?
Bottles 29 38.16%
Bladder 13 17.11%
Both on same trip 34 44.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I carry my bottle in one of these OR bottle carriers. I hang it from a backpack shoulder strap, so that it slides down to the "V" where the bottom of the pack strap meets the bottom of the pack suspension. That way it rides exactly where a classic canteen would, but I can slide the bottle holder up the strap to get at the bottle any time I want. No reaching around behind, no taking the pack off if I don't want to.

Real interesting survey. So far, no one carries a bladder without a bottle too. I wouldn't have guessed that.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Hiking With An Empty Bladder

Did I tell you I'm a cheap guy?
I refuse to purchase any expensive gear from an outfitter if it can be avoided.
On the trail I take 2 one liter Aqua Fina bottles to treat my water with Aqua Mira.
I also carry a 24 once Gatorade bottle with twist sports top for flavoring water.
While hiking, in my pack I carry an empty 3.5 liter bladder from a wine box.
Occasionally, I'll put a litter or 2 in the bladder to get through a long dry section of trail.
But mostly, I'm hiking on an empty bladder and it's used to tank up at the end of the day in camp.
The best part is everything was super cheap and cheap to replace too.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I also use the bladders from a wine box. As far as I'm concerned, wine in the box beats Jack in the Box any time!
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I carry both, but only one.

I've used bottles called Chugsters for years. They come in various sizes and are more rectangular than round, which I prefer. They're light and cheap. They have a round screw-on cap which has a snap-open 9/16 inch drinking hole, so it's easy to fill, convenient for pouring and drinking. Graduated in milliliters on one side, ounces on the other. The one I carry is about 9x3x3.25 inches and holds a liter.

But as time went by, I began to envy the guys who can sip while walking with no fuss. I read bladder reviews and found them inconclusive.

So I did this. Find the right sized rubber stopper, drill a hole in it, shove in some tubing, thread the tubing in one bladder tube slit into the pack and out the other slit, secure the sipping end to a strap with velcro.

In bladder mode, the bottle sits in a side pocket with the stopper in the drinking hole. When I reach camp, the stopper comes out, the snap-on lid is closed and we're in bottle mode.

Also, like Grandpa, I've found box wine bladders to be the best compressible water carriers I've encountered.

Hey tonto...

Sorry, I accidentally left you out as a wine bladder brother. Please forgive me.

Last edited by Wilder : 10-08-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I tend to use bottles for a variety of reasons - some of which have been expressed in this thread.

There are times that I've used hydration bladders, when somewhat hands-free drinking was beneficial.

Reality
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: Go Lite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Coolmax blanket and bliss nylon sleep sack
Shelter: Triple bliss hammock

It is very rare for me to carry a bladder to consume water while I hike. I generally use plastic bottles. However on my last backpacking trip, I decided
to use my Camelbak 100 ounce bladder. Fortunately I brought a liter plastic
bottle too because soon after starting the hike, the bladder began to leak. I may have consumed only half the contents and ran out of water very early on the hike.

Unfortunately there was no water for miles. It was a very strenuous hike. I was wearing a polar heart rate monitor. My average heart rate over the 5 hours that I hiked was 152. I am over 50 and am fortunate that my cardiovascular condition is excellent. I was also fortunate that someone shared their water with me or I might not be posting this as my degree of dehydration was severe.

Needless to say, I will not be carrying a bladder again.

Aloha,

Kalalau Rich
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalalauRich
...soon after starting the hike, the bladder began to leak. I may have consumed only half the contents and ran out of water very early on the hike.
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of your misfortune with the Camelbak. I think it's pretty rare for these to fail, though not unheard of. I'm curious if you were able to determine where the leak came from? Was it a bladder puncture, a hose leak, or did the bladder/hose connection fail?

Glad it turned out well. Running out of water isn't fun. I ran out of water once, and will never let it happen again as long as I can help it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: Go Lite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Coolmax blanket and bliss nylon sleep sack
Shelter: Triple bliss hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGervin
I'm curious if you were able to determine where the leak came from? Was it a bladder puncture, a hose leak, or did the bladder/hose connection fail?

That is the million dollar question. When I got home, I filled up the bladder,
hung it up and it did not leak. I squeezed it and it did not leak. But the thing was leaking like a sieve when I was hiking. And after our group got to our destination, one member of my group took my Camelbak to fill up in a stagnant pond, came back and told me it was leaking badly. It is still a mystery because I cannot get it to leak now.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I think Murphy got wedged into a seal or connection somewhere. He only does that on the trail where he can create the most havoc. I can never get my truck to run rough for the mechanic either.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Seems like Murphy's always involved... Usually in cahoots with Gumperson ("The probability of any given event is inversely proportional to its desireability").

I wonder if the top opening was sealed properly. The only thing I could think of that would make a disappearing mystery leak like that would be a problem with the top plug (the old ones like mine snapped in place, the new ones screw in). If that wasn't sealed properly, I have no doubt pressure against the bladder from inside the pack would force water out the top and create a "mystery" leak. I'd think a puncture leak or a bladder/hose fit problem would continue to leak or get worse. Just a guess. Maybe not an important one, since you don't seem real enthusiastic about bladders anymore anyway.

I personally carry most of my gear in waterproof stuff sacks inside the pack to defend against disaster leaks or other such water problems.