Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Warm Weather Hammock Sleeping Gear

What do you use for for bottom (UQ, mat,...) and top (e.g. quilt, blacket,...) insulation in your hammock when it's warm? For the sake of this thread, let's consider "warm" to be 50° Fahrenheit (10° Celsius) or warmer.

Thank you for your participation.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

For me, any temps below the high 70's requires an underquilt (or pad). If it's too warm having the underquilt snugged up to the hammock, it's very easy to adjust things to let in more air to help cool it down.

Right now, I'd likely grab my Yeti underquilt.

I'd also be using my JRB No Sniveller top quilt. I can move some of the down over to one side if things are too warm.

Last edited by Perkolady : 06-27-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i can make do without the underquilt, using just my bag down to the low 50s. the bag's rated to 20 degrees and is synthetic, so it still retains a little insulation when i'm in it.

for our coastal trip ever august i take along my bag, hammock, and a wool blanket. bag goes in the hammock, i go on top of the bag, blanket goes over me.

it's not perfect. if i toss too much the bag shifts uncomfortably, but when everything's lined up it's quite comfortable down into the 50s.

if i had my druthers, and money to spare, i'd be making a BDD underquilt and using that and the wool blanket for this year's trip(eventually there'd be a topquilt, but the wool breathes so nice and yet it's so warm...)

Last edited by dsuursoo : 06-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

In warm weather I use a USGI poncho liner rigged as a under quilt. and a NorthFace Cat's Meow as my top quilt.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I still use my underquilt, and move out of the top further