Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Low Cost / Cheap / Budget Full Hammock Setup

Let's post some low cost* options for a full hammock setup. Please avoid DIY (sewing) options, names of retailers (non-manufacturers), sites and links.

Please suggest such things as a low cost hammock model, suspension, netting, tarp, et cetera.

Thank you for your participation. This information will help others give hammock camping a try.

Reality

*Note: It's understandable that cheap or low cost can vary depending on a person's budget. However, please do your best to list the lowest cost items that you feel remain good options.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Trailwise External-Frame with various bags
Sleeping Gear: Down-filled Quilts
Shelter: Tarp

Home between jaunts -- been a great summer so far! Lots of off-trail exploring mostly close to home. Gasoline is expensive!

Anyway, I have two low-cost hammock solutions. I use the same tree straps, tarp and underquilts with both. I confess now to a couple of instances of "adapting" purchases to work.

Tree Straps (one of the DIY items) are 1" wide X 10' long flat nylon webbing with overhand loops tied at each end - cost about $10. I wrap, or don't wrap, the tree trunk as needed to get right length for hammock pitching.

Original Tarp is 10' X 10' nylon at 2 lbs. and $40 -- pitched over hammock diagonallly mostly.
New tarp (a gift) is 9' X 9' Silnylon lighter, but costlier -- about $70, I think.

Hammocks:
1. Byer Traveller Lite -13 oz. - $20 with a U.S. Army "Skeeta-Tent" also 13-oz and $20. About $40 total.
2. Byer Moskito Traveller - 1 lb. - $45 +/- a gift after I had set up my first unit.

Summer underquilt is a 13-oz. All-Weather Sportsman's Blanket -$15 - clipped to hammock with mini-biners. Wind and water proof, does insulate some, use as a groundsheet, too.
Winter underquilt - about a pound and about $20 each - is either a down-filled or a synthetic-fill "throw" with grommets installed (other DIY) at corners for attaching to hammock with mini-biners

About $100 to $120 +/- per unit, I guess, not counting my overquilt which can be about any zipped-open bag or quilt/blanket conditions dictate. Not a specific "hammocking" purchase.

Both set-ups work well for me. I kinda like the first setup with the enveloping bug net as being not so restrictive as the zippered unit. I can lay diagonally and flatter in the hammock. I've also used both set-ups as ground shelters above tree-line and when I didn't like the widow-makers above me.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i'd like to think my setup was on the cheaper/more affordable side.

ENO doublenests run in the $70 range. a kelty noah tarp about that.

my suspension has undergone a bit of evolution and now consists of somewhat heavy-duty 1" cargo straps cannibalized out of a pair of old ratchet-straps. they aren't light, but they were free. they also manage fine double-duty as tree-protectors. roughly 30-some feet long too, so they give me major utility. in a pinch i can loop them together and use them to descend a cliff face...

i don't rock bugnets up here, though i've been thinking about it. no cause to yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Low-weight setup

There is always a balance between cost and weight. Grand Trunk Nano 7 is less expensive than Eno and only weighs 7 oz and you can use paracord for the suspension. Gossamer Gear has great insulation pads for hammocking. The most expensive part is the rain tarp. like a sleeping bag, the lighter the more expensive. Zpacks has a tarp that only weighs 5 oz. Borah Gear has a tarp that weighs 7.5 oz.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Snugpac Jungle Hammock $40.00 just under a pound.
Snugpac All Weather Shelter (tarp)$69.99. This is a 10x10 sylnylon tarp with grommets, loops and snaps. It is the best $70 you will spend on a lightweight (1.5# I said light, not ultralight)tarp.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:47 AM

Not an utralight set up but it is solid and complete for $150 US .... $140 if purchased in quantity- Tom Claytors Jungle Hammock or Mosquito Hammock I can't really remember what it was called. Hammock,Rain Fly,Integrated bug netting , and suspension(not very good) included.
I replaced the suspension with an ENO atlas strap system... easy but not the lightest option.
The rain flys (13' long x 10' wide diamond)that came with ours are pretty decent ... solid , waterproof, and sealed well - I've read some older reviews that complain about them - we've had zero issues so far

edit: Forgot to mention I use a REFLECTIX pad in the hammock in cooler weather - the hammock is a double layer- there is a full length "pocket" for a pad .The reflectix can be bought in rolls at hardware stores .. its basically mylar covered bubble wrap - our roll was 27$ for a 25 inch by 30 foot roll . I made 3 pads and used the extra for a few freezer bag/pouch cozies

Last edited by DEmerson : 01-30-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM

At Appalachian Trail Days the last 2 years Hennessy Hammocks were half price. In 2014 I got an Explorer Asym for $80. That includes tarp, hammock with integrated bug screen, and snakeskins. Also had two threaded funnels to attach to tarp and catch rainwater in bottles screwed to funnels (can add in-line filter if desired).