Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
Just did it again - this time 22oz. I did the same with my Katadyn, which is much easier to pump, and it came to 12 oz after pumping 3L through it.

The Katadyn will provide everything your MSR will but is lighter and easier to pump.

Well I just put it on the scale and just the filter with no tube or bottom cap was 13.5 oz

Then I filled it and pumped 3L then removed the top to drain all water and it was 14.3/4 oz

Then I pumped for 10 sec at what I would call Dry and it was 13.3/4 oz

So as you can see once pumped dry it is less than 1/2 oz of water and that is nothing to even think about.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I have used the Hyperflow for 2 years now, and works great for me.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

We've been using the Amigo Pro pretty much exclusively for backpacking and the Miniworks for vehicle/kayak camping.

The Miniworks mainly lives in our home prep bag the rest of the time. It's a great filter so long as you adequately pre-filter the water. On the trail it's just too heavy and, obviously, requires pumping which means we're not doing anything else when making water.

The Amigo Pro does away with all that.

Yeah, I agree it is too bad ULA doesn't make it anymore but you can make your own without a lot of brain damage. The filters are available and almost any stuff sack can be modified to be the bag.

As for effectively filtering water though the Miniworks is a superior filter so if we are wandering in iffy areas we either pack it or fortify the Amigo-filtered water with chemicals. Probably not necessary but when you run into a flock of sheep on your mountain you tend to get a little more serious about stuff.

Ben
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM

I use a Katadyn squeeze bottle filter--I forget the name of it at the moment. The filter rests inside the bottle and you just fill it up and squeeze. This is so simple and foolproof; also, no pumping. I don't understand why this system isn't more popular. Where I hike in the Sierra there's always lots of water, so I just leave the bottle 1/3 full when I'm hiking to reduce weight.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

When I use a filter, it is the MSR hyperflow. I also use a piece of BioDiesel 1 micron filter now for particulates if the water is really silty.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Backpack: Camelback HAWG
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Hoodoo 3

We have been running the Katdyn Hiker Pro for about two years with good results. They are moderately priced at about $60.00 and the filters are about $40.00. If I had any complaint at all it would be that the filters are never on sale, so full price is what it is. Like many filter- supported purifiers, the Hiker Pro is designed so you can keep the filter and the intake tube seperate from the outlet tube, thus eliminating cross-contamination risks. The unit is aobut the size of a 16 oz. beer can.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: Mystery Ranch Wolf Alpha

+1 for the First Need. While it is bulkier than most other filters, it's important to note the difference between a filter and a purifier. Filters remove protozoa, parasites, and bacteria while purifiers also remove viruses.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haclil
I want to put in a plug for General Ecology's First Need Water Purifier. In 30-odd years of using their pumps I've never been disappointed with them.

Granted, there are lighter systems out there. But I think the First Need wins in it's combination of easy pumping, robustness, versatility (prefilters, gravity feed), and efficiency in removing a broad spectrum of baddies.

Out of weight considerations I've switched over to diesel filters and AquaMira drops, i.e. a two-stage process. (I hope General Ecology isn't reading this.) This kit is *much* lighter.

So far I'm very satisfied with the results but do worry about being stuck sometime with seriously dirty/polluted water as my only option.

BTW when fetching or handling water I have found an ultra-lightweight bucket: the bags made for cooking whole chickens in ovens. You'll find them in the supermarket. You can even fill one say 2/3rds, close it with a bag tie and schlepp it around.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

PUR Filter

Now Katadyn. 15 years old, works like a charm, weighs too much, but too useful to be replaced.

(these are the same feelings my wife has about me!)
Sponsored links