Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

View Poll Results: Do you primarily prefer a cord or webbing suspension?
Cord 15 39.47%
Webbing 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Cord (Rope) or Webbing Suspension

Do you primarily prefer a cord (w/wo tree straps) or webbing suspension?

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i've tried cord... it works, you just have to be particular about your choice of line. you're also going to drop more money, odds are, to get the same results as strapping. your mileage may vary of course. skinny/light folk are going to have better results than heavy fellows like me.

so i'm going to be getting some strapworks strapping, i think it'll boil down to $20 after shipping.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I've tried both, and I really prefer webbing.

Webbing on my hammocks weighs more, but I find I have an easier time dealing with the webbing.

Sure, whoopie slings and marlinspikes are fairly easy, BUT... I prefer hammocking in colder weather, and when my hands are wet and cold, I have a harder time dealing with rope. Easier for me to grab the webbing.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolady
I've tried both, and I really prefer webbing.

Webbing on my hammocks weighs more, but I find I have an easier time dealing with the webbing.

Sure, whoopie slings and marlinspikes are fairly easy, BUT... I prefer hammocking in colder weather, and when my hands are wet and cold, I have a harder time dealing with rope. Easier for me to grab the webbing.

Another concern for using Whoopie slings in cold weather is what happens if your wet sling from this morning freezes when the temps drop below 32 F/0 C ? I have heard that this can cause some issues with readjusting the sling once ice gets in the mix.

For me, my webbing and rings rig with some Dutch Clips replacing carabiners only weighs about 4 ounces more than a whoopie rig. For me, webbing is MUCH easier to put up with you're hunkering under your tarp and hanging your hammock. I just prefer the simplicity.

I know some folks who work with whoopies really enjoy the tinkering process and the weight bonus is just a plus. To each their own.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I tried Whoopies for awhile. I really prefer the compactness of them compared to webbing. But I ended up right back where Bearpaw is, webbing & Dutch clips. It's just so much simpler & faster.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Gossamer Gear Murmer/Mariposa Plus
Sleeping Gear: Jacks R Better Quilts
Shelter: GG The One

I am using the webbing set-up that came with my Warbonnet Blackbird. I like it. If I need to adjust it in the rain (which I have done, during thunderstorms as well) it is much simpler. It is bulky, and a bit heavy, but I am hammocking for comfort, so why reduce that with extra fuss?
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I prefer rope (cord), because I've used it and tied knots since I was a young child in a variety of different capacities. I like its versatility and possibilities. I appreciate the fact that it's (potentially) replicable in the wild (i.e. natural cordage). [This is just my personal affinity,...]

That said, I currently use a webbing suspension because I can simply put it around the trees and cinch to suit. It handles the weather very well and it's gentle on the trees. [I've seen significant damage from cord with very minimal use, and next to no visual damage with webbing with extensive use. I don't need to damage anything that is in my reach to easily avoid. Note: I realize that many cord users deploy tree straps to protect the trees.]

I prefer carabiners over other new fangled designs. It's more about versatility (multi-use) than weight for me on this (though the weight is quite minimal). [There's a lot more to this, for me, than I'll discuss here. But it has some to do with certain pieces of gear that I'd prefer to have with me (over others), if I had to remain out MUCH longer than expected (et cetera).]

I've been at this for a long time, and I see old things (e.g. whoopie slings,...) popping back up for another try in another way. [I guess each has to experience things fail (e.g. freeze up), before realizing the limitations. I'm with you on this one, Bearpaw.]

One of the benefits of hammocking, specifically suspension (for subject at hand), is the extreme ease and the lack of need for any fussy contraptions or devices to make it work perfectly. For me, it's quite simple: strap or tie to two trees (sturdy objects,...) and it's up and ready.

Reality
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: JRB No Sniv
Shelter: WBBB hammock

I use webbing around the trees, but I like cord to the hammock.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM

I am currently using both. I have the Slap Strap Pros, which do slip sometime; just like Bearpaw said they would. I have also rigged up cords in the same manner I saw done by another hammock manufacturer. I am considering the cord, due to it being more handy for lashing or other uses around camp should a need greater than hanging in a hammock arise.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

This make me ask the question; how strong does the suspension have to be and what safety factor you are using??
Webbing is cheaper per kilo rating than any cord I can think of, but cord would probably give a better peak to a fly sheet.

Do you cut your safety margin to the bone to save weight and use Kevlar sewing thread? You still need to carry some strapping to protect the trees don't you? So why not use the same for the hammock suspension?

I am asking all these questions of myself ATM as I am really thinking the hammock design through before starting to sew one, I only want to do this ONCE, I want to get it right and correct first time