Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:17 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Ideas for Ridgeline Storage (Gear Organizer)

I've seen in a few photos posted that show a storage pouch hanging from a ridge line. This is just what I've been wanting.

I have been trying to find something I could hang above me in the hammock to hold stuff. The pockets on the Clark are ok but often smaller items end up wayyyy at the bottom. If any of you have ideas of something I could purchase or even and idea of what to sew please let me know.

Thanks
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Hi Hobbit,

The storage pocket I have on both of my Hennessey Hammocks are made out of netting. One side of the top edge is simply folded over the ridgeline, creating a casing. It's loose enough that it can slide along the ridgline so you can place it where you want to. The pocket itself is divided into two verticle sections by simple stitching. One is larger than the other.

The netting makes it UL. I haven't had any durability issues with it. I would think you could make something similar with almost any fabric really.

It's great to have a place to store those smaller items that can easily get swallowed up in the hammock!

Hope this helps!
Perkolady
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I'm assuming that you know that the Clark has two small storage pockets at the head end of the hammock, but they are not suffcient for whatever you want to store

Also, the Clark has two small loops on both sides of the ouside of the hammock to which you could attach a storage bags.

In addition to those, I rigged an inside ridgeline with sliding storage bags in my son's Clark:

Inside the Clark are two loops at the top of the weather shield/bugnet. I attached a line to them using a tautline hitch so I could tighten and loosen it as needed.

I then took ziplock bags and put a "loop" of duct tape on one side near the top of the bag. the "loop" is not really a loop because the the tape is stuck together - it is just a doubled over peice of tape sticking out past the side of the bag.

I punched a hole in the end of the duct tape and attached it to the line with a cheap $1.50 carabiner from walmart.

This allwos me to slide the bags (I use two of them) up and down the line. The rope is a braided .25 mm I bought at ems and offers enough friction to keep the bags from sliding on their own up and down the rope.

I just fill them up and slide them down to the foot end and they stay in place.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 AM

Made of a folded square of mesh, closed at both ends, open at the top on it's own, elastic ridge line. This enables it to stretch keeping the main ridge line from becoming too taut risking ripping out the end attachments.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: GoLite Jam2
Sleeping Gear: GoLite Ultra 20 with Exped Synmat 7
Shelter: Tarptent Contrail

Could you not use a small lightweight stuff sack and carabiner?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiusto
Could you not use a small lightweight stuff sack and carabiner?

Note small, lightweight stuff sack and carabiner on left side holding water bottle..it's kind of hard to see...I like the mesh pocket...it keeps my glasses safe and my knife quickly available...but the most important thing it does is add flexibility to the ridge line...you must decide yourself what you need a ridgeline for and then adjust it to fit your needs...as you can see, I like to hang stuff from it...like my headlamp and emergency necklace...
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Thanks everyone for your ideas and pictures. I'm going to give a few a try and see what works best for me. I may even sew some elastic bands in the side of the hammock up near the head end where I can just stretch and snap some of my items in place.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:15 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mataharihiker
Made of a folded square of mesh, closed at both ends, open at the top on it's own, elastic ridge line. This enables it to stretch keeping the main ridge line from becoming too taut risking ripping out the end attachments.
Thanks for the great photo illustration, Mata... Did you make the mesh storage pocket?

Reality
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Mataharihiker-great idea, and very roomy!
I would much rather have all the little stuff in the hammock with me, than still somewhere in the pack, and your idea is a good solution. I always appreciate your photos-keep em coming!

Hobbit- I like your idea as well. It would be great to just be able to reach near my head for things like my bandana to blow my nose in the middle of the night.

Let us know how your project goes!

Perkolady
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: The blue One
Sleeping Gear: 20 degree mummy bag
Shelter: Hennessey hammock

I use an HH and keep my glasses, headlight, paperback, apple, knife all in the mesh storage bag provided. Of course I also have my boot laces tied together and draped over the line and slid to the foot inside of the hammock. A biner would be a good idea if I could think of anything else I really needed in there?