Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

the beach(we camp on the coast). collecting firewood - at kalaloch we go through a good bit of it ourselves, and for the in-laws it's getting pretty hard for father in law to keep up with the wood needs(his wife suffers from insomnia and will keep a fire up for much of the night) so for those two sites alone wood gathering/splitting/breaking is a pretty full-time job. it doesn't help that i seem to be the only one in the family that's any good at it(they're city folk... dad had me with an axe in hand from VERY early on...). oh, sure, various boyfriends would(before my sisters in law were all over 18) take a stab at helping, but that help usually amounted to a few lackluster swings and complaints about how hard it actually was. so i'd wind up doing it anyways. eventually i just started doing it all myself and hey, we had a lot more firewood. this year they're going to be in a cabin, so maybe not so many needs for wood this year?
'
i've gotten good enough at it that splitting up enough wood for a couple nights for my in-laws only takes an hour or two, depending on if i have to make a run for more logs off the beach.

fun-type off hours activities: fishing(gonna take the eldest out with his own rod and tackle this time. should be interesting.) great way to spend a morning too, and if i collect berries(salmon or huckle depending on when we're there), we have a really great breakfast when i get back to camp(pan-fried trout with salmonberry chutney. delicious. just because you're in the woods is no reason to eat tasty food ). fish or pancakes, depending on how lucky i was(or how dumb the fish were... they're smart in kalaloch.) berry picking(see previous statement), huckleberry pancakes are tradition for us. i've taken all the little ones save the newest out so far.

sandcastles: this one is really traditional with us. we've done it so many years that last year i looked at the father in law and said 'let's do something different than a castle this year...' and we wound up doing a cube, cylinder and a pyramid out of sand. i'm thinking this year it'll be a huge bowl of fruit.

in about ten years i and the boys are going to go down in the middle of the night and sculpt a huge easter-island style head and leave it for everyone to go 'what the...?' over.

flying kites. the beach is fantastic for this, where we go. always a good constant wind of about 5-12 knots, and if you bring enough string, you can get that kite high. the kids really took to it. makes me wish i still had my old stunt kites from when i was growing up.

day-hikes: this is great. there are some really gorgeous places real close to kalaloch, if you're willing to walk a little.

cooking: i am, by default, camp chef. mostly because i have an easier time working with the fire but also because i'm more versatile than my wife. in times of shared sites i've usually been camp chef for the entire site, excepting breakfasts(most of the time). the years where i pull out the stops and serve up dinner for the entire family are the years that get talked about a lot.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Down time activities

Eating, drinking coffee, relaxing and talking around the fire. Playing catch - baseball, frisbee, football etc...Swimming when possible, fishing, teaching the kids outdoor stuff, telling them my stories of growing up camping. Sleeping in late, day-hiking, planning great meals, meeting other campers. Bible reading, prayer walking, hanging out with my wife and talking about everything and anything. I love it all.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 06-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHiker
I haven't been car camping in years but drinking heavily was usually the main activity.
Fishing, wiffle ball, and horseshoes also.

This still when car camping. and pretty much any other free weekend.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Hey Dude...surfs Up!!

I'm the camping/backpacking weirdo in the family.
So, when I can convince others to go I better have something to hold their interest when we get there!!
My wife is from RI and her family did a lot of sailing and week long cruises in Maine when she was growing up.
So she likes to be at the beach near the water.
I grew up on Cape Cod and our family made a living running the largest beach concession operation in South Eastern Massachusetts.
For me the beach meant WORKING...usually in a hot environment behind a grill of deep fat fryer.
I use to joke that I was the only guy who spent the whole summer at the beach and NEVER got a tan!!!!
My preference is to go to the mountains but we usually wind up at the beach 'cause I know that's where my wife likes to be.
All I have to do is put a beach into the plan and I can get the wife on board for a camping trip.
So what to do...walking and hunting for interesting flotsam, kite flying, heaping each other in sand up to the neck, sand castles, getting lazy and doing nothing, eating, reading, and my all time favorite activity BODY SURFING, which I taught my kids to do and they look forward to hours in the water.
At one time, when our kids were young, we planned on camping at every single State Park in NC and managed to do about half of them.
We did a lot of day hiking, swimming, canoeing, and spent time around the camp fire in the evening.
My kids also got a kick out of cooking their own meals over a campfire.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto
I'm the camping/backpacking weirdo in the family.
So, when I can convince others to go I better have something to hold their interest when we get there!!
My wife is from RI and her family did a lot of sailing and week long cruises in Maine when she was growing up.
So she likes to be at the beach near the water.
I grew up on Cape Cod and our family made a living running the largest beach concession operation in South Eastern Massachusetts.
For me the beach meant WORKING...usually in a hot environment behind a grill of deep fat fryer.
I use to joke that I was the only guy who spent the whole summer at the beach and NEVER got a tan!!!!
My preference is to go to the mountains but we usually wind up at the beach 'cause I know that's where my wife likes to be.
All I have to do is put a beach into the plan and I can get the wife on board for a camping trip.
So what to do...walking and hunting for interesting flotsam, kite flying, heaping each other in sand up to the neck, sand castles, getting lazy and doing nothing, eating, reading, and my all time favorite activity BODY SURFING, which I taught my kids to do and they look forward to hours in the water.
At one time, when our kids were young, we planned on camping at every single State Park in NC and managed to do about half of them.
We did a lot of day hiking, swimming, canoeing, and spent time around the camp fire in the evening.
My kids also got a kick out of cooking their own meals over a campfire.

pretty much this. i grew up in hawaii, so the first time i got invited to the coast with the wife and her folks (pre-marriage) i was 'eh' on beaches.

then i realized how much fun it could be.

this year, since zack's going fishing with me, i'm gonna let him fry his own fish up if he catches any(with supervision of course).
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippikiyo
The nice thing about car camping is the extra stuff you can bring to fill the day. What sorts of things do you do while camping when weight/space is not a concern?

I drag a boat behind the truck. Fish, eat, and sleep are my favorite activities while car/boat campimg.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Backpack: Osprey Kestrel 58
Shelter: REI Arete

Fly fishing or bird nature nature watching which are often the focus of the trip, during the day; in the evening and at night, reading, and, now frequently using an iPad to help with star gazing.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

When packing, I day-hike, read, and photograph. When car camping, I do the same except I bring more books, and all the camera gear! And I'm more likely to have a campfire, so time spent sitting near it.