Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Car Camping Sites - Favorite Places

I have done a fair amount of car camping with kids, dogs, friends and solo and I've got definate ideas in what makes a great spot. I'll share mine and you share yours. I like seclusion or the illusion of such. I like the car parking area to be away from the tent areas. I like a water feature nearby or some nice and interesting trails and boulders. I don't require potable water access or bathrooms as my family is comfortable going primitive, especially if the car is carrying the 5-10 gallons of water. I hate campsites with playground equipment.

For the most part I hate Texas park camping. Most of the campsites are very close and for some reason the people bring loud music and tons of beer and it begins to feel like I'm camping in a Walmart parking lot. At many of the parks there isn't much else to do, no trails to day hike or anything.

The few places I've found a nice place are Enchanted Rock during winter or summer. Half the campsites require a carry across Sandy Creek which can be 100 yards or more. The Dog Canyon side of the Guadalupe Mountains are absolutely lovely and very infrequently visited. Also makes a great base for trail hiking. And one of my absolute favorites is Krause Springs in Spicewood, TX. I think this might be the prettiest place I've ever seen in Texas. There are RV sites and then a tent area where you just toss your tent where you like. Scores of springs bubble up in this place and a few are directed through a swimming pool up by the house and then pour out of the pool to drop over 40 feet in a lovely waterfall to a swimming hole and creek below the bluffs. There is a small cave behind the waterfall to swim in and explore. Next to the Krause area is a state rec area with biking/hiking trails and the creek widens and joins Lake Travis.

I've found a few lovely and secluded sites in far eastern Oregon and Mal Pais in NM.

What do you want in a camp site and where do you find it?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

We want a primitive site, where you cannot see your neighbors if possible in a place that offers hiking trails as well.

Some GA state parks offer primitive campsites. There are also Forest Service roads through some of the state forest areas that offer car camping sites; some even offer fishing opportunities!

One that was a fav when the girls were smaller was a private park with primitive campsites that had a trail over 4 miles which ended up at a nature center. Nothing like hiking over 4 miles in GA heat and humidity to go pet a snake! lol

It is also a very nice thing to have friends in rural areas with lots of land and a fishing pond

Perkolady
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Arc'Teryx Needle 65
Sleeping Gear: WM Ponderosa
Shelter: MH SkyLedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippikiyo
A forest or lake or river or the alpine is nice to camp with.
I find them after leaving the pavement and taking that second left off the graveled, unsigned National Forest / logging road and crossing that dry rocky river bed onto a dirt track that ends up.., well I had better remember the way I came so that I can get out, that is when I am ready to leave :-)
Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Icicle Creek

My family enjoys car camping in the FS campgrounds along the Icicle Creek near Leavenworth WA. The Icicle Creek area provides access to the Enchantments and other great craggy peaks in the Cascades. We also like to close proximity to Leavenworth, a recreated german town, were we can go get ice cream or dinner if we choose. The FS campgrounds are pretty typical campgrounds, it is the area that makes the place special.

Jason B
Old 06-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

One of the great things about living in the west is that almost every backroad is a possible campsite. I would call it more "truck" camping since it would be impossible to get a car down many of the rutted and rocky backcountry roads. I often drive in as far as I feel comfortable and set up a basecamp. From there I hike off with a pack for a day or two exploring distant mesas and canyons that I would not have had the time to hike to from a main road. For desert truck camping I like to be in juniper country when possible.

I am headed out for a boat camping trip in 2 weeks. Western lakes provide great opportunities to camp along primitive shorelines. There is nothing like a swim and a few cold ones from the cooler after a long hike. The photo below shows our campsite below on Lake Powell. The low water levels of recent years have opened up some incredible hiking opportunies up the many side canyons. This campsite was near the Escalante arm and Hole in the Wall. You can barely see the campsite on the small point below.

Last edited by mesacrow : 06-23-2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I camp in the Fingerlakes National Forest.There is a primitive campground with only 9 sites and a number of trails accesible from there.There are also spots along the backroads with a firering and table with no others close by. You can also backpack and stay whereever you like.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 06-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippikiyo

I want as much solitude as possible and access to good hiking or other forms of self-powered (or totally non-powered) recreation. Bathrooms and even showers are nice if it's a multi-day gathering of extended family, which my car-camping trips often are.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I like forest campgrounds...one of my favorites is the highest campground on the Guanella Pass in Colorado...it's almost at 11,000 feet and near some very cool hiking. I spent 3 lovely days alone there one summer...
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM

One of the best car camping experiences I have ever had was in the Bruce Peninsula National Park in Ontario, Canada. The campground was full, and I could hardly hear anyone else. The sites were set in the forest. I was just incredible.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:57 PM

The best State Park that I ever camped at was Cobscook Bay State Park near Lubec Maine. Nice primitive sites, many along the bay, and all of the sites that we stayed at were secluded. Crowd factor was low also.