Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Trailhead > The Trailhead - General Backpacking Discussion
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

The Trailhead - General Backpacking Discussion The Trailhead General Discussion forum is for backpackers to discuss non-gear related wilderness backpacking issues (e.g. technique, LNT, hiking partner wanted, trip planning...) that are not covered in other PB forums.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

What are your backpacking plans for 2016?

What backpacking trips do you have planned for 2016?

I've been hiking in the Superstition Wilderness, thus far, this year. I'm hoping to get up in to some of the canyon areas of southern Utah, and then some hiking in Yelllowstone and Tetons. It's likely that I'll squeeze in some trails in Washington and Oregon by Summer.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

The Cathedral Range in Yosemite---looking for those bighorn sheep they reintroduced. And a longer trip in SEKI to see more of that wonderful area.

And Death Valley this spring.

And....

there is not enough time
Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I'm looking at doing my first overnight backpacking trip down to Shawnee national forest. Doing a small part of the river to river trail.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: MYOG Cuben, Osprey Atmos 65 AG
Sleeping Gear: MYOG Down Quilt, Enlightened Equipment Accomplice
Shelter: SMD Deschutes CF Tarp, SMD Lunar Duo

A three day trip in the Smokies in April with the Mrs. We'll hang around there the rest of the week for the wildflower pilgrimage and do some day hiking. Then my buddy will meet up with me to start the Davenport Gap to Erwin TN section of the AT.

Like DiverDon, the Mrs and I want to do a section of the R2R in the Shawnee as we're only a couple hours away. We're thinking the Garden of the Gods thru Lusk Creek Wilderness section...maybe in March or later on in the fall.

Week in August for a car trip through Yellowstone with my mom...so I guess that doesn't count.

Not sure yet beyond that. Trying to bank vacation time for a couple of Yosemite trips next year so Balzaccom's gonna get fed up with me peppering him with questions!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Shelter: Tarp

Besides a few winter trips into Ventana Wilderness, my good buddy and my son (two different people ) and I are planning a trip to Mirror Lake via Morris Meadows in the Trinity Alps. On a recent trip, we saw Mirror Lake from Sawtooth Summit above Caribou Lake, and the idea of hiking up to it from the the opposite side of the Trinity Alps was born. Not a big expedition, but those lakes that nestle against Thompson Peak (highest point in the Alps) are awesome, and we've hit two of them so far over the years.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:41 AM

Going to finish my ADK 46ers and Catskill 35s - 4 left to go in each. Heading up to the Whites in New Hampshire with no real destination in mind.
If time permits we want to kayak from Eastport down along the Maine coast to Bar Harbor. See if my employer is kind enough for some extra days off !!
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 02-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: SIx Moons Designs Fusion 65
Sleeping Gear: North Face Cat's Meow +20
Shelter: Sierra Designs Lightning 2 UL

I'll Be summiting Mt St Helens at the end of June, and then Mt Adams Mid July. For my long trip this year, my plan is to start on the PCT south of Glacier peak in WA and then cut over into North Cascades NP from Stehekin and traverse the park, exiting north of Mt Baker.

Other than that, I am hoping to finally summit the small mountain I got lost on as a child (Cowhorn Mt near Diamond Peak) along with my usual putzing around in the Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood area.

If anyone has been to North Cascades NP and has suggestions for must see paces, I'd love to hear your input!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:39 PM

2016 Plans

Dolly Sods and Cranberry Wilderness
Presidentials
Long Trail section
Grafton loop
Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I did some backpacking in Big Bend earlier this year and plan to backpack there again in the spring along with a trip to Arkansas in later spring with my brother in law. Then comes disc replacement surgery in my neck, which will slow me down for a while but hopefully allow me to do more later.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Eagle Cap Wilderness
Glacier Peak Wilderness
Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness