Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills The Bushcraft & Primitive Wilderness Skills forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to ancient and/or primitive style bushcraft/wilderness skills (e.g. firecraft, foraging, natural material construction, modern/primitive tools, long-term wilderness survival,...).

Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Shovel or Digging Implement

For bushcraft, what do you use for digging? Have you found a lightweight shovel that you prefer?

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
For bushcraft, what do you use for digging? Have you found a lightweight shovel that you prefer?

Reality

I've stuck with this folding number from Coleman for ages. Its not super light but its solid. Doubles as a pickaxe. Its solid enough I could probably sharpen the edge so its an ersatz Axe but I haven't gotten around to it. The pouch has a belt loop so I can carry it in many situations.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I carry a metal U-Dig-It for the obvious latrine duty. I keep it semi-sharp with a file so it will cut into the hardest ground.

I've never resorted to a shovel for bushcraft but if I needed one, I'd just use the U-Dig-It since it's always with me. If I had to hollow out a trench in the ground as part of a shelter, it would take a long time since it's small. But for making a fire pit, it would work quite well.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I got a QiWiz Big Dig titanium trowel a couple years ago and it's very light, cuts through roots well, and pretty much indestructible.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
I got a QiWiz Big Dig titanium trowel a couple years ago and it's very light, cuts through roots well, and pretty much indestructible.

Big digs are nice. If the Coleman tool ever craps out on me that's my replacement.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I have several digging implements. The U-Dig-It or the Chinese copy work well in a variety of soils (the plastic trowels are fine for loose soil but in packed or gravelly soil will break. The U-Dig-It is in my canoe kit.

Montbell sells a nice stainless steel trowel that is sturdy and quite light. It is one-piece of stainless steel looking a bit like a good-sized spoon. This is the one I usually carry.

I don't usually carry an e-tool except in the truck. For that (and if I do ever have to lug a shovel) I have the Glock spade. This is lighter than the GI tri-fold, has a straight telescopic handle, folds to about the same size as the GI type including the 90 degree pick arrangement. The Glock also has a so-so saw in the handle.

All of my digging tools have sharpened edges for cutting into soil, not wood, and on most I have cut a half-round root-cutting notch in the tip.

I do NOT use a shovel as an axe. An effective shovel has a scoop shape, sharp, scoop-shaped blades have a strong tendency to strike glancing blows and can cut a very serious wound in the leg when they do. If you need to chop carry an axe, hatchet or large knife designed for the purpose. A nasty leg wound does little to enhance the wilderness experience.