Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

Outdoor Products Packable Daypack

I just wanted to bring attention to this for those who might make use of it. I just got one and I think it's a great idea for through hikers or bike-packers who might want to stop at a national park and do a day-hike from camp, etc. It's perfect to stick in a larger pack that you might not want to take on your day-hike. You could easily fit a days food, water, packable rain coat, small first aid and fire kit, and a tarp if you wanted. It weighs very little and easily packs down to the size of an apple or so. I'll update on it's ruggedness after I use it some. It is obviously made of a very thin material to pack down so small and be so light, so I'd say you should steer clear of packing items with hard corners, etc. You can easily find them from several sources for under $10, so the price is right. There may well be superior versions of this elsewhere. This is just the first one I've come across, so I wanted to share.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Thank you for this post. Could have used something like that on my last trip!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Camelbak RimRunner, Osprey Volt 60, Kelty Redwing 50
Sleeping Gear: Kelty LightYear Down 20 / ENO Doublenest Hammock
Shelter: Granite Gear White Lightnin' tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRWD
I just wanted to bring attention to this for those who might make use of it. I just got one and I think it's a great idea for through hikers or bike-packers who might want to stop at a national park and do a day-hike from camp, etc. It's perfect to stick in a larger pack that you might not want to take on your day-hike. You could easily fit a days food, water, packable rain coat, small first aid and fire kit, and a tarp if you wanted. It weighs very little and easily packs down to the size of an apple or so. I'll update on it's ruggedness after I use it some. It is obviously made of a very thin material to pack down so small and be so light, so I'd say you should steer clear of packing items with hard corners, etc. You can easily find them from several sources for under $10, so the price is right. There may well be superior versions of this elsewhere. This is just the first one I've come across, so I wanted to share.

Yeah, this little guy is pretty handy. Bought several for the grandkids - something to hold a candy bar, first aid, jacket, camera, sunscreen etc. The missus and I also carry them in our packs as stuff sacks and we have them (multiples) in our vehicles as light emergency bags (water filters, fire making, space blankets, etc) and as earthquake grab bags around the house. Be prepared, and don't go broke doin' it, right?

Very decent little item and very affordable, definitely multi-use.

Ben