Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 06-10-2014, 05:35 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Big Agnes Scout series - lots of stakes?

I'm looking at the Big Agnes Scout Plus UL2 and Super Scout UL2. Great tents, of course, but I had a few questions for those who may have used them.

They seem to have a lot of stake points. Does this ever become an issue in rocky areas, or limited space areas? And, if you have used the Super Scout, do you ever feel limited in finding enough space to pitch it? It's got a big footprint, but I like the huge vestibule it has, particularly if it were raining.

Any thoughts on this nice tent series?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

ContainsImages

I've been a fan of Big Agnes tents for a while. I've been planning to post some information about the Scout series models, but I've had a couple of unexpected setbacks in my plans.

For now, I will say that you do not have to use all of the stakes - depending on your circumstances, weather, location, etc.

As with other shelters, there are ways to work around rocky areas and such - this would not be limited to the Scout series tents.

As you've noted, the Super Scout requires more ground space. That's just how it goes with that one. Many wilderness areas, with designated campsites, tend to have ample space - but this is a generalization.

I've attached a photo of my Scout UL2 that I pitched earlier this year.

More later...

Reality
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reality_BA-Scout-UL2.jpg (128.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I don't have any Big Agnes tents, but all my non-feestanding tents and tarps have similar issues.

I agree you don't have to use all the tie-outs. Usually, the heavier the wind and weather, the more tie-outs you will want to use. I don't think tent designers mean for all the tie-outs to be needed on most trips.

If an area is really rocky, I give up on stakes altogether. I take extra cord, and make extensions for my corner tie-outs, and tie each extension to a heavy rock. Then I pile more rocks on top of that. A small cairn in every corner. By the time I'm done, it takes a lot of wind to move my tent corners.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

The most guy line connections I've used on one tent was 16 during a storm.

The least I've used has been zero - when using a freestanding tent (weighted with my on-hand gear - in no wind).

Reality