Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Thanks. I have been laying on pads and I think I am going to spring for a Q-core SL. My wife found what she liked (static V from Klymit) but I have been more equivocal. I know that the SL is smaller than a lot of the other pads on the market, but at 5' 3" I'm not the biggest guy around.

I'm going to give it a test drive once more and then make my decision. Thank you for the help.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I've used many pads, from the blue foam to Z rest to self inflators to insulated Big Agness to Neo Air. My favorite is the Neo Air, which is the lightest and also most delicate. I just make sure I've carefully selected the spot it will occupy and removed anything that might poke it. I also use a polycryo ground sheet which is quite puncture resistant. I also keep a repair kit in the bag.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
I also keep a repair kit in the bag.
Yeah, this is not unlike a bicyclist carrying a patch kit for a potential flat tire (inner tube). It sure makes good sense.

Nearly everything on the ground was sharp in some of the desert areas that I've made camp.

Reality
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

For me inflatables win in both the space and convenience of use categories. I switched from a Neo Air to a Klymit Inertia X Wave Recon a year and a half ago. It packs to the size of a soda can, inflates with five breaths, is very comfortable and the Recon model uses a heavier denier than other models. I always take the time to scout my tent sight and remove any debris that might lead to a puncture. I also use a polycro ground pad underneath the floor of my Skyscape X which adds another layer of protection. I have little concern about durability but just in case I do carry a patch kit.

All that being said, I am an adult who has made a significant investment in gear and therefore treat it as any piece of ultralight gear should be treated. The OP mentioned kids. I can't speak for his family however when car camping with my two boys, I still opt for my Klymit however the blue Walmart pads come out for the boys. Hopefully in a few years they will have learned how to take care of gear and can be trusted with an inflatable.

Brian
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Sleeping Gear: BA Q-Core SL, WM Versalite
Shelter: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

I recognize that inflatables are more fragile, but like another person said, I've found they are a must for me. When I was younger, I could sleep on just a z-rest and I was fine. Now if I try to do that, I get horrible muscle cramps in my back. I have a Big Agnes Q Core SL, and because I'm a cold sleeper I go ahead and top it with my old Z-rest for additional insulation. It seems to be tough enough- my dog sleeps at my feet (I have a wide/long, so there's room down at the bottom) and the pad holds up to her and me. I am careful about prepping the area I'm going to place my tent to ensure any sharps are moved away. It's got a repair kit in the bag but I've never needed it.