Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

View Poll Results: Which hot drinks do you prefer on hiking trips?
Coffee 10 50.00%
Hot Cocoa / Chocolate 13 65.00%
Soup Broths 5 25.00%
Tea 11 55.00%
Other - I'll explain in thread 1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Hot Drinks / Beverages in the Wilderness

Which hot drink(s) do you prefer on your hiking trips?

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I don't do well with corn syrup or corn starch, so that eliminates most everything on that list except coffee or tea. I do like tea, and find its simple preparation ideal for packing trips. My preference is a good strong Irish breakfast tea in teabags, with some sugar.

Before I became intolerant to corn products, I often had soup for an appetizer, and finished dinner with some hot chocolate. The best backpacking soup I ever found was an instant corn chowder which came in packets like hot chocolate does. Tasted great, and the sugary corn gave extra energy. I haven't seen any in years and couldn't drink it now anyway. But even the memory of it is good!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I like coffee, tea and soup broths.

Coffee - I've been using the instant coffee from Starbucks. I like the Columbian roast. For real coffee drinkers, I guess this is a travesty. While I do appreciate good coffee, carrying enough gear for a proper brew is too much trouble for me...so I settle for instant.

Tea - I especially like Chinese tea; Taiwan High Mountain Oolong to be specific. There are a few companies making decent tasting tea bag versions of High Mountain Oolong. I find the tea bags more convenient and lighter than carrying loose tea leaves, etc.

Soup Broth - I especially like Japanese dashi (basically a fish stock or sometimes a seaweed based stock). There are several brands available in small, air-tight foil containers...similar to the way Starbucks packages instant coffee. Very light and very compact. I usually make the instant soup stock and then use it to heat up brown rice or wild rice plus dehydrated shiitake mushrooms and the like. Very flavorful and super easy to prepare.

In all three cases, I know instant coffee, tea bags and instant soup broth are all travesties in their own right...but I personally feel they are a good compromise between flavor, ease of preparation, light weight and compactness.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Coffee & sometimes tea. Taster's Choice instant packets, sometimes Starbuck's. It might be sacrilegious but coffee is pretty much non-negotiable, and instant lets me get my fix. Tea is a nice treat in the evenings sometimes, usually a Lipton green tea variety.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

I'm probably one of the few people that bothers, but I take ground coffee and my all-purpose backpacking cup is a bit of a compromise. It's a metal mug with a french press screen/plunger built in, so it's not too much heavier than a regular mug and allows me to make great coffee in the woods. It used to be a double walled mug, but I cut off the outer wall to save the weight and just slide it into a sock or bandanna when it contains very hot liquids. I also enjoy taking a few packets of hot chocolate. Once in a great while I'll get crazy and throw a packet of hot chocolate into the coffee for dessert.

Last edited by FirstRWD : 11-13-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I like the hot spiced apple cider packets. They are excellent on a chilly night.