Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 65L
Sleeping Gear: Western Mountaineering Caribou

Newbie Gear List

I'm fairly new to backpacking and I guess more than anything, I just need some general advice on my gear. Below is what I was planning on taking this weekend for a 3 day 2 night trip with my girlfriend. I'll also add, the tent is being rented as I only have my Marmot Limelight 4P. So any advice on a tent for two people would be helpful. Were looking at highs of about 55 F and lows of 32 F for this weekend. Let me know what I'm forgetting, what I don't need, and/or any advice!

Total Weight (no consumables) = 19.76 lbs.
Worn Weight = 2.74 lbs.

Clothing Packed
Icebreaker Wool Long Underwear - 7.6oz
Marmot Rain Jacket - 21 oz
Liner Gloves - 1.60z
Marmot Zeus - 14oz
REI Boxer Briefs - 2.7 oz
Wigwam Socks - 30z
Total = 3.11 lbs.

Cooking
Pocket Rocket - 3oz
GSI Dualist - 24oz
Spork - .30 oz
Total = 2.48 lbs.

Hydration
Osprey 2L Bladder - 10 oz
(2) Platypus 1L - 1.9 oz
Sawyer Squeeze - 3 oz
Total = 0.93 lbs.

Medical
First Aid Kit - 3 oz
Medicine (I'm a type 1 diabetic) - 7.5 oz
Total = .65 lbs.

Pack
Osprey Atmos 65L - 57 oz
Pack Cover - 4.5 oz
Total = 3.85 lbs.

Shelter
REI Half Dome 2 - 82 oz
Therm a Rest Pillow - 9 oz
Therm a Rest Prolite Plus - 24 oz
Western Mountaineering 35F - 25 oz
Total = 8.74 lbs.

Tools?
Small Towel - 1.9 oz
Bic Lighter - .4 oz
Headlamp - 3.2 oz
iPhone 5 - 5 oz
Paracord 100ft - 1.6 oz
Buck Knife - 2 oz
Total = .76 lbs.

Worn
Exofficio Boxer - 3oz
Beanie - 0.9 oz
NorthFace Poly Shirt - 5 oz
Patagonia Cap 3 Long Sleeve - 7.4 oz
REI Sahara Pants - 14.4 oz
Smartwool socks - 1.6 oz
Salomon XR Mission Shoes - 12 oz
Total = 2.74 lbs.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

hm... no mention of fuel for cooking. no backup mentioned. an alcohol stove or a little esbit number don't weigh much and can really save you if your stove quits. i suppose fuel counts under 'consumables' but realize the canister has weight.

the halfdome 2 is by all accounts a VERY good tent. i've been thinking about getting one for myself.

no mention of backup fire-starters/ignition sources. this is kind of critical. most of us here carry two or three different sources. a ferro-rod sparker is inexpensive and reliable. some matches would be good too.

no compass/maps. even though you're most likely unlikely to go off the trail or have problems, it's just smart to have them along, and they weigh next to nothing.

no water treatment mentioned. even if you don't use it, having some means of treating water is good. using your stove/pot is fine. i like to carry chemical treatment(ClO2 tablets) as a backup for the stove.

thoughts on what you've got:

the dualist set isn't bad. not as heavy as you listed. potentially a little more than you need, but that's a style choice more than anything else. i might prefer to take along a couple of mugs for hot drinks. they can do wonders for your morale in the cold weather.

the spare socks/undies are smart. what's the weather report for the weekend shaping up into? if rain, seriously think about taking a spare set of clothes. being cold and wet is zero fun, and you will get wet through your rain gear.

i dunno if you need all hundred feet of paracord. i know it doesn't take up much room but half that takes up less.

a couple of space blankets weigh almost nothing, and may come in handy. if nothing else they're peace of mind.

thoughts on things to add:

some of those little handwarmers. no real weight. throw one in your sleeping bag 20 minutes before you climb in and you're toasty all night long. they can also make putting your boots on in the morning a comfortable experience.

cups for drinks, as mentioned before.

a trowel or something to dig catholes with would be good. a stick kinda does the job but trust me, the trowel does a much better job.

other than that, it's a decent list.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the reply! I definitely appreciate the help.

I just weighed my fuel (larger msr isopro) and it comes in at 12.52 oz only being used to boil water once. Not sure what happened when I weighed my dualist before...I just weighed it again and it came in at 17.14 oz. Much better! Still a little heavy. It comes with the bowls and mugs. I took out the mugs and will probably grab another one that I like a little better.

I'm definitely excited to try the Half Done 2 out. For the money, it seems like a great deal. If all goes well this weekend, I think I'll pick one up. I'm pretty interested in some of the Big Agnes tents as well, but just don't want to drop that much money right now!

Good call on backup fire starters. I added some matches and another small bic lighter. That should be good. There isn't a fire ban where were going, so depending on my girlfriend, I may start a small camp fire.

I do have a compass and have some maps ready for the weekend. I must have forgotten to put them on my list. Glad you mentioned it so I didn't forget them! The loop were doing has little to no blazes and can get pretty confusing (from what I'm told).

I have the water treatment listed under hydration. I'm bringing the Sawyer Squeeze and a couple extra bags.

It's "supposed" to be sunny all weekend. It has rained every day this week though so I'll see about bringing a few spare clothes.

I'll grab some space blankets today and drop some of the paracord. I figured I wouldn't even use a quarter of it anyway. I'll also pick up a trowel, just in case! And, I think we have some of those hand warmers in the basement. I will definitely grab some of those. I know my girlfriend will appreciate them!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAbagnale
Thanks for the reply! I definitely appreciate the help.

I just weighed my fuel (larger msr isopro) and it comes in at 12.52 oz only being used to boil water once. Not sure what happened when I weighed my dualist before...I just weighed it again and it came in at 17.14 oz. Much better! Still a little heavy. It comes with the bowls and mugs. I took out the mugs and will probably grab another one that I like a little better.

I'm definitely excited to try the Half Done 2 out. For the money, it seems like a great deal. If all goes well this weekend, I think I'll pick one up. I'm pretty interested in some of the Big Agnes tents as well, but just don't want to drop that much money right now!

Good call on backup fire starters. I added some matches and another small bic lighter. That should be good. There isn't a fire ban where were going, so depending on my girlfriend, I may start a small camp fire.

I do have a compass and have some maps ready for the weekend. I must have forgotten to put them on my list. Glad you mentioned it so I didn't forget them! The loop were doing has little to no blazes and can get pretty confusing (from what I'm told).

I have the water treatment listed under hydration. I'm bringing the Sawyer Squeeze and a couple extra bags.

It's "supposed" to be sunny all weekend. It has rained every day this week though so I'll see about bringing a few spare clothes.

I'll grab some space blankets today and drop some of the paracord. I figured I wouldn't even use a quarter of it anyway. I'll also pick up a trowel, just in case! And, I think we have some of those hand warmers in the basement. I will definitely grab some of those. I know my girlfriend will appreciate them!

on the handwarmers - check the date on them. if they don't have a date, and they're all about the same age, open one up and make sure it actually fires up. i had to throw out about a dozen as they'd gone bad and wouldn't get warm. lucky me, i didn't find out the hard way. they're freaking awesome when it gets chilly out though.

with no blazes on the trail, you might want to think about a small roll of some sort of marker tape. there's been a few threads on this subject around here. it's useful for getting back to camp from bathroom breaks etc, too. just take it down when you're coming back to camp, or get the biodegradable(something subject to a lot of debate).

good luck, and have fun. i'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions on the half-dome, after a weekend with it.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Backpack: Granite Gear Leopard 58 AC KI or Deuter Aircontact 50L
Sleeping Gear: Thermarest NeoLite XL womens, Big Agnes Roxy Ann
Shelter: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

Depending on if you are a "cold" or "hot" sleeper, the 35-deg bag may or may not be sufficient. I have a 30-deg bag and when it's 30 outside, I'm cold. I supplement with clothing and a military poncho liner (i.e. a "woobie").

Also, consider rain pants. I find that staying dry is critical in those kind of temperatures. I use a set of Frogg Togg DryDucks Ultralight 2. They're $20, very lightweight, and work great!

Lastly... FIRESTARTERS! My favorite: take a cotton ball (use real cotton, not synthetic) and unroll it. Smear petroleum jelly on it and roll it back up. They burn for about 10 minutes and I've never failed to start a fire with them.

Have fun!!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 AM

The trip went well and was a lot of fun!

Got the chance to try out the REI Half Dome 2 and it was pretty nice. Just a few minor annoyances...It's a little heavy but we ended up splitting the weight. It can be set up with just one person, but it's kind of a pain in my opinion. I like the double doors but they are a little annoying ass well. There is a zipper that goes from the top to the bottom and then another that goes from the bottom corner to the other side. I wasn't a big fan of having the two zippers instead of just a single D door with one zipper. We did get a lot of condensation on the underside of the rain fly even with both vents open. Nothing got in the tent though.

BADWOLF - Good call on the rain pants. I definitely need to get some. That will probably be my next purchase.
My bag was plenty warm for me. I wore my Icebreaker wool bottoms and my long sleeve Capilene 3 top. Head got a little cold, but I ended up throwing my beanie on. My girlfriend used her 45f bag with a thermalite liner and she stayed very warm. I think the low was 30f.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Backpack: Granite Gear Leopard 58 AC KI or Deuter Aircontact 50L
Sleeping Gear: Thermarest NeoLite XL womens, Big Agnes Roxy Ann
Shelter: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

Hey, so happy to hear it went well, and especially that you stayed warm.

I think all tents, regardless of design, will produce condensation given the right environmental conditions. I just keep my stuff away from the walls as much as possible.

The two zippers on a door can allow you to close it half way if one zip goes kapootz. I always zip each half way so worst-case-scenerio, I can still use one of the two. If you want a lot of floor space, the Big Agnes Fishhook is hard to beat. It's very lightweight and NO ZIPPERS!

I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 for my solo trips. I needed a 2-person so my Siberian husky could come along so I bought the Copper Spur UL2 for $280 on sale from Backcountry Edge. Winter is a good time to buy.

Anyways, just get out there and enjoy. The gear is secondary to the experience. Nonetheless, it does help to have lightweight, dependable stuff in the backcountry.

And, yeah, get rain pants! I was hiking out of Dolly Sods last month and it started to snow. I hiked in snow for 4 hours. I knew my ride was meeting me at the trail terminus, so I didn't bother to put on my DriDuck pants. The snow on the rododendrun leaves brushed against my pant legs for hours... they were soaked by the time I got to the end.

And, guess what, my ride wasn't there. I suddenly realized I was cold, wet, tired, and might be stuck camping another night in freezing temperatures.

Don't take chances.

My ride showed up... so I was fine. But I will never do that again. Stay dry and stay alive FroggTogg DriDucks Ultralight 2... $20 and awesome!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Hi, glad to hear your trip was a good one. I had initial thoughts about the
cooking system (weight) and water gear (bladder), but these are a
matter of choice when doing 2-3 days, especially with the GF.
Only other thought was the that the (Marmot Zeus) for the temp range and
chance of moisture might be opted out. The Zeus at 14-15oz and nice 800 fill
down "could" be a problem with moisture. Suggestion might be something like
the Patagonia Nano Hoody. At 12-13oz, Primaloft One insulation and a hoody
to boot, gets you more bang for the weight, plus safer in wet conditions. And this time
of year there's a good chance at getting a good deal on one … or something like it. Rab is also making some nice stuff!
Again, glad your trip went well!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerdog
Hi, glad to hear your trip was a good one. I had initial thoughts about the
cooking system (weight) and water gear (bladder), but these are a
matter of choice when doing 2-3 days, especially with the GF.
Only other thought was the that the (Marmot Zeus) for the temp range and
chance of moisture might be opted out. The Zeus at 14-15oz and nice 800 fill
down "could" be a problem with moisture. Suggestion might be something like
the Patagonia Nano Hoody. At 12-13oz, Primaloft One insulation and a hoody
to boot, gets you more bang for the weight, plus safer in wet conditions. And this time
of year there's a good chance at getting a good deal on one … or something like it. Rab is also making some nice stuff!
Again, glad your trip went well!

Yeah the dualist cook set I'm not really sold on. A little heavy and I definitely don't need the bowls or mugs that come with it. We used the bowls in the morning but even my gf realized they aren't needed.

I'll have to check out the nano hoody. I was definitely nervous the whole time with the zeus and only wore it in camp. Didn't call for rain, but would have sucked if I got it soaked.

Who/What is Rab?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

You mentioned a trowel in one of your posts. I've tried several, from the orange Coghlan's to a green thing I picked up at a big box retailer, to the iPood (the name is better than the trowel) and found my favorite a year or so back. It's the QiWiz Big Dig, made of titanium. It is a bit pricey compared to the others, however, you only have to buy it once, and I'm sure I spent that much on all my others. The Big Dig is practically indestructible, cuts through anything and only weighs a half ounce or so.