Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear Workshop
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear Workshop The Gear Workshop forum is for the discussion of homemade backpacking gear, gear modifications, and repairs.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Gregory Jade 38
Sleeping Gear: MYOG down quilt
Shelter: Bilgy Tarp Tent

Mummy Bag Making Tips?

My next MYOG project will be a down mummy bag. I plan on buying a materials kit and drafting the pattern myself.

I know that several people here have made down quilts, and I have found a lot of great advice for the general design and working with the materials from those threads. I am a moderately experienced sewer and I am comfortable with the extra steps of adding a zipper and a draw string hood to the bag. For my purposes, a mummy bag would be worth the extra steps over the simplicity of a quilt. My question is, does anybody have any additional advice that would apply to making a mummy bag?

My concerns are more along the lines of how large should the hood be, how much larger than me should I make the dimensions of the bag itself, how should I create a draft tube along the zipper line, what shape should the footbox be, etc. I can copy some of these features from ready made bags, but I thought I would see if anybody has any advice before I start from scratch! Thanks!