Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Backpacks
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacks The Backpacks forum is for the discussion of backpacking packs (including front packs and pack accessories: hipbelt pockets, pack covers,...).

Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Gregory Jade 38
Sleeping Gear: MYOG down quilt
Shelter: Bilgy Tarp Tent

Protecting Backpack in Checked Baggage

I am preparing for my first fly-to backpacking trip. My question is, how do I protect my backpacking pack when I check it at the airport for the flight? I have a large bag it will fit in that will protect most of it, but I am wondering about the hip belt. I have an older Gregory shasta with a rigid hip belt that I am afraid will get beaten up or broken.

Can anybody suggest a strategy? It looks like the rigid reinforcement can be removed but this involves screws, etc. and I am not sure they are SUPPOSED to be removed.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I'd recommend a large duffel bag. I know some have used heavy (sturdy) cardboard boxes.

The hipbelt should fold at least as much as it does when worn.

The Sea to Summit Pack Converter might be too small for your pack and hipbelt, but have a look.

Reality
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Mariposa Plus / REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Eureka Silver City / Lafuma WnL 600
Shelter: Tarptent Squall 2 / Appy Trails Mark V

If you are worried about damaging the hip belt I would suggest placing the empty pack in the bag and then stuff items around the belt to protect if from being crushed flat.

The main thing you are doing in holding in all the straps and buckles so they don't get caught on baggage handling equipment and get broken or torn off.

Glenn
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the tips. I think the duffel bag I have is as good as anything for packing the backpack in. Somehow it didn't occur to me to pack everything around it! I will do that, I should have enough soft stuff with clothes, sleeping bag, tent, etc. to protect the fragile stuff. If not I suppose I could pack everything in a box! If I learn any new lessons I'll pass them on.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

WITH regard to keeping the waist/hip belt out of the way ~ I've seen some people fold the belt back the other way and around the lower part of the pack ~ and buckle it tight in front of the pack; so giving a neater and trimmer package..

Another option would be to remove the hip belt entirely on those packs that have a "floating" hip belt, or one that is only velcroed on; (I know that the hip belts/pads on half my packs can be slid right off to make packing and adjustments easier..).
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 AM

I tried folding it around back but it is one of those packs made for hauling very heavy loads and the hipbelt has very stiff plastic in it. The plastic is bolted on to the frame and is the same stiffness as the rest of the frame. I can't really pull them back beyond even with the back of the pack. If I pull them forward like the hipbelt would be worn, the best I can do is a loop adjusted at the smallest waist setting.

I have thought about taking the hipbelt, or at least the plastic frame for the hipbelt off, but it requires removing a couple of screws first that I could see and I wasn't sure how involved it would get beyond that. Maybe I'll just go for it and try taking the hipbelt off now as an experiment. Even if I do pack it up in a duffel, it is going to take some careful packing to protect it.

I love this pack but its "ruggedness" can get in the way sometimes
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

What did you end up doing? How did it go?

Reality
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Not the OP but when I flew out to Vegas for my Grand Canyon trip I put my Kelty Super Tioga in a Northface xl Basecamp duffle. I wrapped the metal frame corners with cardboard. I've done this twice now without any problems.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

When we did Machu Picchu, we tossed both of our empty packs into a suitcase, then stuffed most of their contents around them.

And then we put the rest of our stuff, including our non-hiking clothes, into another suitcase. Worked great.
]
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
What did you end up doing? How did it go?

It was a while ago, but I thought I'd share what worked for me on the trip that started that thread.

I ended up just using a light duffel bag and packed my pack inside of it with all of my clothes and soft gear loose around it for protection. I ended up bringing a second small sturdy suitcase for the most delicate items which I used as a carry on.

Ended up being really tough to carry and about 49.9999lbs, but the duffel system protected everything pretty well. I may or may not have injured myself pretty severely swinging that giant duffel around before we even got started on the trip