Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Using a sleeping bag liner or bivy exclusively - sans sleeping bag or quilt

Have you used a sleeping bag liner or bivy sack without a blanket, quilt, or sleeping bag (e.g. as a sleeping bag alternative)?

Please share the model(s) and temperatures in which you've used them - even if you've used a combination of a bivy and a liner.

Thank you for your participation.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

A buddy of mine flew in for a camping trip with me. He insisted on using only his fleece liner bag, and no pad. He shivered the entire night. Environment was the redfeather lakes area on the colorado/wyoming border in late june.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

What's In The Bag?

I have an older model REI Minimalist bivi with a bug screen over the face opening.
I've used it many times without a sleeping bag or liner from late Spring to early Fall in temperatures down to about 40.
I use just my hiking clothes for insulation with my shoes on inside the bivi.
The bivi acts similar to a tent by keeping the wind off thus cutting down on convective heat loss.
The bug net also seems to help keep the warm air inside the bivi.
There is a noticeable temperature difference between when the screen is zipped over the face and when it isn't.
At times I've also draped my rain jacket over the head portion of the bivi to the same effect.
It's important to put the sleeping mat inside the bivi so you don't roll off it in the night.
When sleeping in the bivi I usually wear a set of synthetic upper and lower long johns over my regular synthetic boxers and t-shirt.
It's critical for comfort that the boxers and T-shirt are totally dry.
I also wear a pair of nylon zip-off hike pants, a light merino wool sweater or wool shirt, a light weight fleece and fleece cap.
The clothing is the same clothing I would normally be packing.
It's key that you change into dry wool socks before turning in.
I've found by experience that wearing shoes inside the bivi helps keep the feet warmer.
It's also important that the shoes are not laced tightly so as to help with circulation.

Last edited by tonto : 02-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto
The bug net also seems to help keep the warm air inside the bivi.
There is a noticeable temperature difference between when the screen is zipped over the face and when it isn't.
Yes. Netting makes a difference, and some liners are similar to dense netting.

I've noticed significant warmth retention from hammock netting, net tents, and bug bivies.

Reality