Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Dutch Oven Cooking and Recipies

For those who engage in Dutch Oven cooking while camping, please feel free to share your techniques, experiences, and recipes with fellow camping enthusiasts.

Thank you for your participation.

Reality

P.S. This has been posted in the PBF Camping area to distinguish it from backpacking cooking and recipes.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

There is no doubt that cast iron is the finest material for open fire cooking. although its weight makes it difficult to use when backpacking. I do know folks who carry a cast iron skillet despite the weight for its superior characteristics. Of all the different styles of cookware (skillet, griddle, saucepan, kettle etc.) the dutch oven is the most flexible and useful. The lid can be used over coals as a skillet or griddle, the body can be a stewpot, deep fryer or roaster, add the lid and you have a baker, or slow cooker.

Well seasoned cast iron was the original and best non-stick cookware and slow cooker.A few pebbles inside allows use of a pie pan, muffin tin or cake pan.

You need a lid lifter and a pair of leather gloves are also handy. A scoop or tongs for transferring coals are also needed. Some sort of bag keeps soot off your other gear.

Cast iron ovens come in a variety of sizes. The 2-qt is the smallest useful size while 12" is probably better for a family. Aluminum ovens are also available and save a little weight, though not as much as you may think.

I have an original Woody's cast aluminum dutch oven in the small size, rectangular about 6" x 10". Woody passed away and these ovens became unavailable but they are being made again - but only in the full size about 10" x 10". Aluminum doesn't need seasoning, but I still wipe a bit of fat or oil before cooking.

Charcoal briquettes are the easiest way to regulate temperature and in any event are good to practice with so you judge the amount of natural coals.

You pre-heat the oven and for most uses use 3-4 briquettes under and 5-6 on top. If you are baking, check the baked goods every so often until you get the hang of estimating temperture and timing. With the coals listed using a 10-12" oven the internal temperature should be about 300-400 degrees.

Pick the lid straight up unless you want ashes in your food.Also, have someplace to set the lid where it won't pick up debris.

I learned dutch oven cooking at Philmont (in 1953) and it is really quite easy. Just about any stew, soup or chili recipe can be used as well as baked goods like biscuits or, my favorite

Fruit Cobbler

Use commercial or homemade biscuit mix and canned fruit to taste - peaches, aprocots, plums or cherries. Add a bit of sugar to the mix and use the syrup from the fruit as the moisture content, adding water as necessary. I use a batter a little thicker than pancake batter.. Pour into the pre-heated oven, place the fruit pieces on top of the batter and bake for 20-30 minutes or until done - a toothpick in the batter comes out clean.The cobbler should be light brown on top, expanded to enrobe the fruit. Great dessert.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

My first attempts at cooking with a DO came a couple of weeks ago. I simply popped open some canned biscuits and space them evenly inside the DO. 15 minutes in a 12" oven w/ 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top produced some really tasty biscuits to supplement our bacon & eggs.

Mike