Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: ArcFlex Terraplane / Rivendell Jensen
Sleeping Gear: WM Antelope Dryloft/Alpinlite/NeoAir XTherm
Shelter: Garuda Atman

NeoAir XTherm - 11 nights and sleeping well

During [a] sale in May I took advantage of the 30% discount to buy the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm in the large size. Despite a listed maximum width of 25", when gently inflated the width is 23". That is fine for me. I'm not huge - 5'-8", 150 pounds, 34" waist. So far, I have spent a total of 11 nights (the last 8 consecutive) sleeping on the XTherm on a carpeted floor in my apartment with the A/C set to 78 degrees F. After letting small amounts of air out at a time, I have reached a point where the Xtherm is very comfortable. I am sleeping as well on it as I would in the real bed next to me.
I weighed the XTherm immediately. 1 pound 4 ounces. Exactly as advertized. A pleasant surprise after buying top quality gear that arrived as much as 1/2 pound heavier than claimed. The "pump bag" that came with the XTherm is another story. I finally got it to work, more or less, but it takes forever. For the pump bag to work ok, Cascade Designs needs to provide a one way inflation and separate deflation valve like Exped does.
Which brings me to the companion Exped Air Pillow large that I bought to go with the mattress. The pair is perfect! Once I let some air out to find the right inflation pressure, the combination delivers a great night's sleep.
Since the XTherm has an R-value of 5.7 (which I wanted for cold weather use), I was concerned that I might roast in warm weather. Not the case. I am perfectly comfortable with a sheet on the mattress and one over me.
Sure, I could save 5 ounces with the regular size. However, after seeing the inflated width, I would not like the narrower size. I have never liked the "standard" 20" wide backpacking pads or mattresses.
Two thumbs up for the XTherm large & Exped Air Pillow large.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I bought some inflators at a pool supply store for less than I would pay for a caramel macchiato at a well known coffee shop. The inflator is a long polyethylene bag with a small hose at one end and open at the other. You attach the hose to the valve on the air mattress and roll up the bag, forcing air into the mattress. The small Neo Air is inflated with one roll up, the larger with less than two. The inflator weighs about an ounce. That one ounce prevents me from hyperventilating after a long day on the trail. Although one of my inflators did bite the dust after a grandson tried to inflate through a closed valve and popped the bag, I've found the product to be well worth the low price and weight.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I've been using an Exped Synmat UL7. It weighs in a 15.12 ounces including stuff sack. I also carry the Exped Schnozzel which weighs 2 ounces. I mention the Schnozzel because it's a uni-tasker and if I did not carry the Exped Synmat, I would not be carrying a pump.

The Synmat has a synthetic insulation material inside the mat and so far it has worked just fine. I've only used it relatively mild conditions - low 50's is the coldest conditions I've been in with this mat. I have no idea how cold it would have to be, to challenge this mat...I've just started planning a fall outing near Yosemite and I'm guessing I'll be just fine with this mat.

I worried a little about its durability but so far, so good. I've chosen my spots to pitch my tent carefully and I do use a ground sheet. I carry the patch kit so I suspect even if I do ever get a puncture, it should be okay.

It is comfortable...it is very comfortable. Can't imagine sleeping on anything else. I always get a great night's sleep. I'm happy as a clam to carry this thing...even though it weighs (just a little) over a pound if you include the weight of the pump.

Overall, 2 thumbs up.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

My wife got me a Schnozzel for an anniversary present. I thought I might replace my pool supply inflator with something that could go triple duty as a waterproof bag, inflator, and air pillow, however, the Schnozzel only fits Exped pads and there are no adaptors to make it work on Thermarest. I tried rigging one but was unsuccessful. It still works as a waterproof bag. I found it too slippery to be a good pillow by itself but did discover that I could partially inflate it and put it into my backpack to fluff up the pack enough to provide head support. I can then put my down puffy into a sleeping bag stuff sack on top of the pack to finish off my pillow solution.

Since I broke my neck on a trampoline in 1967, I've had to be very picky about my pillow. I need support that wraps around the sides of my neck a bit and it has to be pretty high, the equivalent of about two to three normal pillows. I've got the pillow situation worked out at home but on the trail it's a constantly evolving solution as my gear choices change.