Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Sleeping Gear
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Sleeping Gear The Sleeping Gear forum is for the discussion of sleeping gear (bags, mats, quilts...).

Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I use a compactor bag to line my pack (which has been modified to drain water) and just stuff the quilt into the bottom to take advantage of it's ability to mold to whatever space is there. Items added on top provide any needed compression as I repack.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

How do you pack your sleeping bag?

New Guy question.

I have a backpack that has a "sleeping bag compartment". I like it! I like that I don't have to pull out all my other gear to remove or to pack my sleeping bag.

All of the lighter weight packs I have been looking at don't have a sleeping bag compartment. If I owned one of these packs, I would imagine my bag stowed at the bottom of my pack. To get my bag out, I would have to remove all (or most) of the contents.

How do you all pack your sleeping bags? And, is it that big a deal to get at it, if you pack it at the bottom of your pack?

Does anyone else like the sleeping bag compartment feature? Or is this mainly a novice hang up?

Darryl
Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

My pack doesn't have a sleeping bag compartment so the bag goes in the bottom of the pack, where it is the last thing I'll need to pull out and the first thing I need to put back in. Having it on the bottom of the pack doesn't bother me a bit.

The packs I started backpacking with over forty years ago all had sleeping bag compartments and full frames. I hike with less than half the weight I carried then.

Of course, if you see my avatar you understand why I need half the weight... I still end up with a load on my back!
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Shelter: Tarp

Like Grandpa, I prefer having my sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack. Above it are packed a sleeping pad, a clothing bag, cook kit ditty bag, and food. Since the sleeping bag only comes out when I want to sleep, but the other stuff comes out sooner, I have never been unsatisfied with this system. This only works because the shelter and ground cloth are in outside pouches and the lid has a pocket with a lot of little stuff in it (sunglasses, headlamp, sanitary/first aid, etc.).

Also, clothes that I might need on the spur of the moment (wind shirt, rain gear) are kept accessible without opening the pack.

I can see that there may be reasons to want the sleeping bag out before the other stuff, but I also appreciate the protection from weather that comes from having it in the bottom of the pack. I think a zipper-accessed sleeping bag compartment may be subject to rain infiltration.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Thank for your replies and information. You both make great points.

I have drawn the conclusion that I should just try it.

On the one hand, the thought of dumping out the contents of my pack to get my sleeping bag in or out of my pack seems counter intuitive. On the other hand, in my recent outings, I haven’t packed much stuff so I guess even if I have to remove everything...it's actually not that much.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Darryl
Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfield
Thank for your replies and information. You both make great points.

I have drawn the conclusion that I should just try it.

On the one hand, the thought of dumping out the contents of my pack to get my sleeping bag in or out of my pack seems counter intuitive. On the other hand, in my recent outings, I haven’t packed much stuff so I guess even if I have to remove everything...it's actually not that much.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Darryl

i'm a bottom of the pack, no compartment kind of guy. all my stuff is broken down into individual clusters. mess cluster. bed cluster. clothing cluster. (shelter is typically stored in an exterior pocket). they all get their own bags.

so i suppose i do a sort of compartmented storage anyways.

that said, dry bags/stuff sacks aren't that expensive. pack the pack in reverse order of setting up camp so that tent comes out first and gets set up. mess cluster comes out so you can make dinner. clothing cluster comes out and goes into tent to be ready. bed cluster does the same.

sounds anal, but it makes for easy camp.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
that said, dry bags/stuff sacks aren't that expensive. pack the pack in reverse order of setting up camp so that tent comes out first and gets set up. mess cluster comes out so you can make dinner. clothing cluster comes out and goes into tent to be ready. bed cluster does the same.

Sounds like good advice...thank you!

I did by a waterproof sil-nylon stuff sack today (Sea to Summit). Nice stuff sack but adds almost 6 ounces. I rationalize that the +6oz will be worth it, if it keeps my bag dry.

Someday I'll evolve to the no-sleeping-bag-compartment and (lighter weight) trash compactor bag to keep it all dry method. Until then....
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfield
I rationalize that the +6oz will be worth it, if it keeps my bag dry.
There's no rationalization at all in your thinking, only practicality. I've literally soaked a sleeping bag only once, and I'll never forget it. 0 degree 4lb. synthetic bag dry, only God knows how heavy when fully wet. But due to a series of misfortunes, it did get fully soaked, and I had to carry it and sleep in it. I can guarantee it was way more than 6 oz., and the dryer the bag, the happier you will sleep.

Sea-to-Summit makes good stuff, especially the light dry-bags. Have several myself. Here's to hoping you don't find out how important a dry sleeping bag is...
Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Golite Jam
Sleeping Gear: Golite quilt
Shelter: SMD Gatewood Cape

I happened to find a pillow stuff sack that's slightly larger than the stuff sack that came with the quilt. It's silnylon outside and microfleece inside (and vice versa at night). It's slightly easier to stuff the quilt, plus it's nicer on the face.

My hope was that it would keep the bag dry if rain actually soaked through the outside of the backpack, but I was relieved it kept the bag dry when my backup bladder leaked a puddle inside the pack.

I think I'll use a pack liner next time. The bladder leak freaked me a little. I really don't want to find out firsthand how wet down performs.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Backpack: Trailwise External-Frame with various bags
Sleeping Gear: Down-filled Quilts
Shelter: Tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin
I happened to find a pillow stuff sack that's slightly larger than the stuff sack that came with the quilt. It's silnylon outside and microfleece inside (and vice versa at night). It's slightly easier to stuff the quilt, plus it's nicer on the face.

My hope was that it would keep the bag dry if rain actually soaked through the outside of the backpack, but I was relieved it kept the bag dry when my backup bladder leaked a puddle inside the pack.

I think I'll use a pack liner next time. The bladder leak freaked me a little. I really don't want to find out firsthand how wet down performs.

Wet down simply doesn't perform. Having said that, I can also say that in 54 years of carrying down bags, I've only had a really wet bag once -- but after ten days in a snow cave, everything was pretty soggy. It was time to leave.

Your leaking hydration bladder is not uncommon from what I've heard. A companion recently had water dripping out of his pack as he walked ahead of me up the trail. He was not a happy camper. I'm still a bottle-baby, I guess.

My down bag is always protected in waterproof bags. Compressed tightly when needed, loosely packed when room is available. Mostly in the last few years, I pack light in a big pack bag, so my sleeping bag starts out pretty loose in the bottom. But it moves up, along with other items I'll need quickly, if I'm going to be walking until dark. I've never really wanted or needed to get my bag out first -- usually it's whatever shelter i'm using -- hammock, bivy sack, tarp, tent -- then my pad and bag.

Lastly, I normally use that zippered "sleeping bag" compartment at the bottom of some of my packs for stuff that gets and/or is wet. Zippers leak.