Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bikepacking
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bikepacking The Bikebacking forum is for discussion that relates directly to bikepacking (also known as bicycle camping). Subject matter should involve the backpacking/camping/bike gear and trip planning as it relates to mountain biking and bicycle touring.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Biking Safety Sunglasses

What type of riding safety sunglasses do you use for bike touring (bikepacking)?

I prefer wraparounds for good peripheral vision/coverage, block UV, and offer impact protection. Anti-fog is a nice touch - but I've had more poor experiences from glasses with such claims than good. [And I have heard of using such products as Cat Crap.]

I've become separated from more than one pair of sunglasses, so I simply buy the best that I can get for the least amount of money.

More than a few cyclist wear Dewalt safety sunglasses. And I know some who wear shooting glasses (e.g. S&W, Remington,...).

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I've been using Oakley wraparound styles for more than twenty years now...

Buying them during sales can ease the pain a bit, when the prices can often be reduced by half, (two years ago I bought a pair of "Lance Armstrong signature series" 'cycling sunnies, plus spare lenses and cleaning accessories, for about 2/3 of their regular price (for the 'glasses alone) down here..).

However, I do consider it worthwhile buying a better pair of sunnies for activities like riding and skiing ~ at least for me personally ~ as I do notice the differences between the Oakleys and much cheaper sunnies.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50
Sleeping Gear: DIY down quilt
Shelter: ENO Doublenest Hammock, WB Bugnet, GG Tarp

I do not have a tendency to lose or beat on my glasses. I had a pair of Smith VooDoo Sliders for many years that served me well. I wore them everywhere and the lenses saved my eyes many times as evidenced by the many scratches.

I noticed that they were getting long in the tooth so I opted to replace them since the style had been discontinued long ago.

I replaced them with some Oakley Jawbones. The Oakleys fit my head MUCH better, provide better coverage, better ventilation, and better optics. Plus, the Jawbone style provides for very easy lens changes. That said, I really only like to use them on the bike because they're not the most stylish glasses otherwise.

It was a good thing I got a new pair to replace the Smiths for bike use, because just recently, I dropped the Smiths on the floor of the yoga studio while swatting at a fly and the frames broke.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildlifeNate
I replaced them with some Oakley Jawbones. The Oakleys fit my head MUCH better, provide better coverage, better ventilation, and better optics. Plus, the Jawbone style provides for very easy lens changes. That said, I really only like to use them on the bike because they're not the most stylish glasses otherwise.

I like to keep my Oakleys just for bicycling, as well...

Though, I am spoiled for choice in sunnies, these days ~ one pair that live in my car (safe from the sun in the centre-console bin), another pair for hiking and travel, a 4th pair (with amber lenses..) for snow or for when out on the water..
Old 10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Camelback HAWG
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Hoodoo 3

Oakley in any of the wraparound styles have been our mainstay for years. Be sure and get a clear lens and a sun lens. If you insist on a ballistic lense, look to Gargoyles. Always secure them with a neck cord. We try to remember that glasses are also to be worn while chopping wood, starting fires, and any of a number of other campground chores.