Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

Like I have said before in a other thread, I use a MiniWorks and I love it yes I would love to kick 12-14oz of it out for drops but that will not happen!

I have filtered from some Nasty water source's with my MSR MiniWorks and even Poo water without the nasty taste my friends had to deal with as they were using drops....

Now I have modified my bottom cap to accept a Platy or soda bottles and a other one for a Gatorade bottle.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDD
Like I have said before in a other thread, I use a MiniWorks and I love it yes I would love to kick 12-14oz of it out for drops but that will not happen!

I have filtered from some Nasty water source's with my MSR MiniWorks and even Poo water without the nasty taste my friends had to deal with as they were using drops....

Now I have modified my bottom cap to accept a Platy or soda bottles and a other one for a Gatorade bottle.

One big issue with the MiniWorks, apart from the poor pumping performance and constant clogging, is that as soon as you pump a litre through it, it will retain a lot of water in the ceramic filter. Such that it will add almost another 16 oz to its dry weight. No such issues with the Katadyn.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: ULA Catalyst
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Helium/Atom
Shelter: Tarptent Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
One big issue with the MiniWorks, apart from the poor pumping performance and constant clogging, is that as soon as you pump a litre through it, it will retain a lot of water in the ceramic filter. Such that it will add almost another 16 oz to its dry weight. No such issues with the Katadyn.
I have to say, FamilyGuy, my experience is different. My MiniWorks almost never clogs, and 30 seconds with the little brillo pad will restore it to like-new if it does. And a pound of dampness in the filter? That would be almost a half liter of stranded water--no way. I pump out the excess before I pack it away and don't notice any appreciable weight gain.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Mine came to 28oz after pumping water through it. I guess I am unlucky.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: ULA Catalyst
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Helium/Atom
Shelter: Tarptent Rainbow

Quote:
Mine came to 28oz after pumping water through it. I guess I am unlucky.
Ouch. Surely that's before pumping out the excess? With canister and hoses still full of water?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I haven't had any significant clogging issues with the Miniworks. However, I haven't used it much in turbid water or without a good prefilter.

I have experienced a weight increase after use, though not at significant as previously mentioned. After use, I pump out as much of the remaining water as possible, then remove the filter from the housing, hand-whip it downward, and I'd allow it to air-dry in a backpack mesh pocket(when it's practical to do so - and if I still carried this model).

The Miniworks is a part of my car camping gear (rather than backpacking gear), because it weighs more dry than my other option does when wet.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Backpack: SMD Comet
Sleeping Gear: WM Ultralight/KookaBay custom insulated air pad
Shelter: Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic

I made a gravity filter similar to the defunct ULA Amigo Pro using a Sea-to-Summit Ultra Sil dry bag, a Katadyn Hiker Pro replacement filter, tubing, screw-on fittings and clamp from US Plastics. It was quite easy to put together and filters really well. After trimming the excess plastic housing on the filter, total weight of the gravity filter assembly is 6.6 ounces.

The dry bag is much easier to dip than the silnylon bag that came with the ULA Amigo Pro (which developed a leak after 2 years). It's especially good if the only water available is shallow requiring dipping with my pot to fill the bag. The Amigo Pro bag was almost impossible to use when I had to dip water to fill it.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

Quote:

Well you must not pump your filter dry like I do you also must not use a coffee filter or any other prefilter in dirty water.

I have thought about going to other types of filters but non of them will give me the same clean,clear and good tasting water
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I've used most of the popular filters, and the Miniworks is the one I chose for the nastiest water. It takes a little more effort, but you can always make it work. Late this spring I was in Grand Gulch with four other guys, and my Miniworks was the only filter that wasn't totaled after the second day. Pumping three days of water for five people was quite a workout, especially since it all came from just two puddles. The dropouts were a Sweetwater, a couple Hyperflows, and an old Katadyn ceramic filter. For less turbid water, I like the Sweetwater OK, but I prefer the convenience of my MSR gravity filter.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDD
Well you must not pump your filter dry like I do you also must not use a coffee filter or any other prefilter in dirty water.

I have thought about going to other types of filters but non of them will give me the same clean,clear and good tasting water

Just did it again - this time 22oz. I did the same with my Katadyn, which is much easier to pump, and it came to 12 oz after pumping 3L through it.

The Katadyn will provide everything your MSR will but is lighter and easier to pump.