Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 09-04-2011, 02:37 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haclil
I want to put in a plug for General Ecology's First Need pump-filter. In 30-odd years of using their pumps I've never been disappointed with them.

Granted, there are lighter systems out there. But I think the First Need wins in it's combination of easy pumping, robustness, versatility (prefilters, gravity feed), and efficiency in removing a broad spectrum of baddies.

Twice my First Need successfully purified really awful water. In the first instance a pool of water that had been turned red by some poisonous henbane plants that had been submerged after heavy rains. The second time I had returned to a cache a year later to find a yellowish-brown liquid that smelled of sulphur. Since I had little choice both times, I sat down with my pump and lo! produced sweet, clear water that was a pleasure to drink.
I have a 'First Need' filter as well ~ but it hasn't yet been put to that sort of a test...

Just happy to know yours was up to the job, Haclil..
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

First Need XL.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM

I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro. It performs well and I like the attachments.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Quilt
Shelter: BA Copper Spur UL2 or WBBB Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Jim
While I don't think it has a carbon portion I've got my eye on that new Sawyer Squeeze bag solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbb
The Sweetwater does have an activated carbon core. As does the Miniworks. Not the Hyperflow, though.

My 'lack of carbon' statement was referencing the Sawyer Squeeze Bag solution. Point being, it would be a compromise for other benefits such as weight and convenience(compared to my Sweetwater).
Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Another vote for the First Need. My model is from 20 years ago... with the same original cartridge. Wasn't sure of it's ability now that I've dug it out of storage, but it passed the food color integrity test. And I haven't developed any spastic bowel problems.

I can see how other models might have an advantage, however, with field serviceability. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a hash mark on the First Need cartridge every time you filter, to keep track of the cartridge's life.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimquidl
Another vote for the First Need. My model is from 20 years ago... with the same original cartridge. Wasn't sure of it's ability now that I've dug it out of storage, but it passed the food color integrity test. And I haven't developed any spastic bowel problems.

I can see how other models might have an advantage, however, with field serviceability. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a hash mark on the First Need cartridge every time you filter, to keep track of the cartridge's life.

just think of the money you saved on filter changes! like when my grampa didn't change the oil in his tractor for 45 years....

i've been looking long and hard at the MSR options. it would be nice to have something for water right away if i needed it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to put the Sweetwater on my shopping list!
I've used them before, and never heard anything bad about them. I've never seen the first need in action, but it looks like a solid filter. I've used the katadyn and it worked well, but it just seemed a little flimsy, I'm worried I would break the pump lever. I've heard so many horror stories about the hyperflow, I'm a little afraid of it. So I guess the Sweetwater wins out.

Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Ultra 20 and POE mat
Shelter: SMD Lunar Duo

giving a big plug for gravity filters. I have been using ULA Amigo Pro for a few years now and really love it. I was skeptical given that the adoration of these filters by its users often sounded more like religion than an objective evaluation.

My first two trips with it I took along my trusty sweetwater just in case. The gravity filter worked like a champ - clealy faster and easier than my sweetwater. If you are camped near a water source, it really shines because you can get other camp chores done while filtering water. I generally don't have trouble finding a spot to hang the filter here in the Pacific Northwest. Last week I was filtering water on a steep, rocky, treeless bank. It took a bit more futzing than usual, but found a good spot to hang it withing a couple of mins. I haven't had any problems with the filter, so i don't have experience with troubleshooting in the field.

ULA no longer makes the Amigo Pro, but Platypus had a gravity filter that works well, too.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

I second the ULA Amigo Pro. It's unfortunate that they don't make them anymore; their simplicity is brilliant. It seems as though you could make one fairly easily if you were so inclined.

I've had mine in use for three very active seasons and just now had to replace the filter.

I also have an MSR MiniWorks, but it hasn't seen the light of day since the Amigo Pro showed up.