Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Rain Wrap / Skirt / Kilt

If you use a rain wrap or skirt rather than rain pants, please share your experience (pros/cons) here.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Mariposa Plus / REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Eureka Silver City / Lafuma WnL 600
Shelter: Tarptent Squall 2 / Appy Trails Mark V

I just got mine a few days ago. I haven't had it on the trail yet but it is definitely easy on and off. While it doesn't provide 100% coverage it would be sufficient for most of my hiking situations.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Anyone have an update, thoughts, or experiences to share?

I like the reduced bulk and weight of a rain kilt, and the ease of putting it on and taking it off.

When it's very cold and wet, I have opted for lightweight rainpants.

Reality
Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Wrapping It Up

Last week I did a few section hikes on the Appalachian Trail. I spent a few days at a well known hiker hostel in Dennis Cove near Hampton, TN. The second day was a rainy morning and a small group of young thru-hikers gathered on the hostel porch gearing up to start the day.

One guy pulled a heavily worn section of Tyvek from his pack and wrapped it around his hips several times before tucking the top edge in at the waist. Noticing the heavily soiled condition of the material I asked if he had been using it as a ground cloth. He said he had when he started down in Georgia. Heavy wear had caused it to leak, so instead of throwing it out he found it functioned well enough as a rain skirt.

I thought his duel use of the light weight product was smart and might serve well as equipment for shorter section hikes.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I went to Trail Days in Damascus this year. Saw a couple of hikers wearing a kilt (not just a rain skirt). I spoke to one of the hikers at breakfast about his kilt and was so impressed that I bought one after returning home (have not used yet). Also liked what Colin Fletcher had to say about it in his book (he used a sheet of plastic). I am told the kilt helps keep warm in cold weather. I plan to wear my kilt when backpacking whether rain or not.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i've now done this a time or two with improvised ones.

way more comfortable than rain pants, i tell you what.

can be a bit of a bear to get adjusted right though.