Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

View Poll Results: Do you primarily prefer a cord or webbing suspension?
Cord 15 39.47%
Webbing 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogFiftyfive
This make me ask the question; how strong does the suspension have to be and what safety factor you are using??
I guess the short answer is: strong enough to hold the intended weight - and a little more for good measure. Most cord/webbing used by hammock manufacturers and savvy hammock campers is appropriate for the load. There are, of course, other variables to consider.

Quote:
Webbing is cheaper per kilo rating than any cord I can think of, but cord would probably give a better peak to a fly sheet.

I may not be understanding you correctly, but it's my understanding that most hammock campers are actually using cord for their fly sheets (tarps).

Quote:
Do you cut your safety margin to the bone to save weight and use Kevlar sewing thread? You still need to carry some strapping to protect the trees don't you? So why not use the same for the hammock suspension?
The inference is that there's more to this than weight. Indeed. I think the majority feel this way.

Good questions. I understand your concerns (or at least I think I do).

Reality
Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Indeed there is weight; which is static and only deals with the force of gravity and then there is the combination of mass and acceleration/speed in excess of gravity.
I can hold my weight with one strand of M-6 nylon thread ( used for kite strings ) but if I bounce even a little it breaks, so obviously you can't use just your body mass + hammock mass as the load, I would say 4 times my body mass is the minimum and perhaps 8 to 10 times to give a reasonable margin for tying knots, so I need a cord that has a strength of 95kg X 10 or close to a tonne.
6mm Spectra is strong enough but knots need to be carefully tied. Costs $3.30 /meter

32mm X 0.65mm polyester webbing has almost the same strength but only costs $0.85/meter and weighs about the same; nylon is as strong but it stretches, 32mm webbing is easy to sew.
It isn't a simple question if you look closely
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

I prefer to use webbing for my hammock suspension, but cord with tree straps is good too.

I suspend my tarp with lightweight string (200#).

I've had this configuration in brutal winds for lengthy periods of time.

As you likely realize, many who opt for a webbing suspension do so, in part, based upon its ease of use.

Reality
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i went with it finally out of cost issues.

my own straps, since we're on that subject are rated waaaaaayyyy over-spec. probably well into the thousands of pounds.

this is probably more than a lot of folks feel they'll need, but hey, free is free.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Hammock, UQ, TQ
Shelter: Terrapin Tarp custom

I use poly prop straps, a marlinspike hitch/toggles and diy whoopie slings. This is extremely vesatile and light-weight. I guess Dutch clips would be a few seconds quicker, but my set up works and I see no need to add the weight or spend the extra for the clips.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 PM

I use rope and a slip knot connected to a s-hook on the hammock. I did not like having to fuss with undoing a knot in the morning. The slip knot makes it fairly easy. Do not tie the slip knot on hte wrong side, then you will slip out of your hammock.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality

I may not be understanding you correctly, but it's my understanding that most hammock campers are actually using cord for their fly sheets (tarps).

Reality

I was thinking of set-ups that use one single line; with the hammock hanging from the line, i guess i was wrong in my assumption there, looking at web sites most people do use separate lines for the flys.

Those Brazilian hammocks with the spreader bars seem to be more for backyard use, as you lie across them not along them, they do look comfortable tho
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 AM

My simple hang with rope, slip knot lower right corner. This reminds me that I need to get another hammock, as the kids are always in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rope.jpg (92.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

ah so the same knot used during abseils where you want to retrieve the rope afterwards.

i've thought about doing this with straps, but the garda holds fantastically, especially when backed up.

what do you use on the other end?
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I use 9mm webbing; best of both worlds. I'm switching out to 7mm prussik cord at the moment to test with clamcleats. My dogs got into one of my packs one day & the prussik cord happened to be in there with bite marks in the packaging (left the trail mix in the bag & unattended), so now I can't use it for climbing, just in case they bit into it somewhere, so this would put it to good use instead.