Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Fishing & Hunting
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Fishing & Hunting The Fishing & Hunting forum is for discussion (on-site content) that directly relates to wilderness fishing and hunting with an emphasis on engaging in these activities while on backpacking trips. Lightweight/packable gear, personal experience/technique, and trip reports are of central focus. [Reminder: PBF is for actual content, not links/reference to offsite content.]

Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

Deer Rifle .270 Winchester

put down money on a new(for me) rifle today.

waiting for the tax return to finish paying for it is hard enough.

waiting for deer season... that's nine months!

pics to follow. it's an absolutely beautiful gun.
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Cool, What did you get?
Jonathan
Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 AM

a '60s era sears heritage in .270 winchester. absolutely beautiful stock(factory original too), weaver mounts. little bit of cosmetic damage to the end of the barrel(needs re-bluing) so i'm picking it up for a song, practically. photos will come this weekend at the latest.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Very cool,

I have hunted and brought home many deer and an elk with my Winchester 670 in .270. Latley Ive been hunting with my WW2 K-98 mauser in 8mm.

Jonathan
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Lot of people here like the flat trajectory of the calibre, I'm saving for a new .35 Whelen as I stalk in very thick scrub
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

I really like a 270. I actually have a Win. Model 70 featherwght 30-06 and a Rem. 270. I like the Win. rifle better, so it sees more action, but I like the 270 caliber better. If I buy a new one I'll get the the same Win. in 270.

However, in WV, you rarely get the chance to make very long shots due to the constant hills, and thick vegetation. So the majority of the time I use an old Savage 30-30 bolt action, iron sights, that was handed down to me. The 30-30 handles brush very well, something I've had problems with in the longer 06 and 270.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 PM

i've had great luck in the brush with the marlin 1894 model in .44 mag, but it's a shorter range gun, and while i will be working in the brush, i'm also going to be encountering long distance shots. i'd prefer something in a .308, but the price is right on the .270, so even if it's a little light for bigger game, it's still a good all around rifle.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
i've had great luck in the brush with the marlin 1894 model in .44 mag, but it's a shorter range gun, and while i will be working in the brush, i'm also going to be encountering long distance shots. i'd prefer something in a .308, but the price is right on the .270, so even if it's a little light for bigger game, it's still a good all around rifle.

Yeah, it's definately a good all around rifle, perfect for whitetail, I think it would work well for mule deer, not something I have a lot of experience with. I also have a marlin lever, but in 30-30, the 1894 30-30 seems to be the staple around here for whitetail. The 1894 44 would be interesting, I've seen them around alot in what I think is a mini-14, just never tried it out. I've alway's thought about pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a Ruger Redhawk 44, having a scope mounted and trying it out for whitetail. Again I very rarely see long shots, and if I do, I'm going to know about it before I head that way.

Another neat rifle I've seen is the the "pak-rifle" it's a 22lr, but I thought thought it looked interesting for small game, expensive, but looked perfect for backpackers.

Maybe a new thread should be started on packpacking rifles...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineerbass
Yeah, it's definately a good all around rifle, perfect for whitetail, I think it would work well for mule deer, not something I have a lot of experience with. I also have a marlin lever, but in 30-30, the 1894 30-30 seems to be the staple around here for whitetail. The 1894 44 would be interesting, I've seen them around alot in what I think is a mini-14, just never tried it out. I've alway's thought about pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a Ruger Redhawk 44, having a scope mounted and trying it out for whitetail. Again I very rarely see long shots, and if I do, I'm going to know about it before I head that way.

Another neat rifle I've seen is the the "pak-rifle" it's a 22lr, but I thought thought it looked interesting for small game, expensive, but looked perfect for backpackers.

Maybe a new thread should be started on packpacking rifles...

not a bad idea, a thread on backpacking-compatible rifles(say, something for extended trips, for small game).

.44 magnum is another terrific caliber, just about anything chambered for it is going to work fantastically out to a hundred yards or so.

ultimately with this .270, i'm happy to have a lighter rifle that shoots FLAT. the ballistics curve on the .270 is flatter than the .308, even though the velocity is, weight for weight, about the same. so while i might not be able to deliver the same energy and sectional density at impact for a given range, i can place the round with slightly greater assurance, and looking at the charts, the .270 retains more velocity and energy, too. it's that slightly better ballistic profile, the slimmer round/length ratio means it flies better.

so the more i read, the more i'm happy with this choice of mine.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Shelter: Tarp

I have a Ruger M77 in .270, and also thought long and hard about other calibers before choosing this one. If I only want to have one rifle (though I do have more than one ), this does lots of things well and some things very well, ranging from varmints to elk (which I have not hunted BTW). I did some custom work on it, bobbing the barrel to 20 inches and slimming the stock. The scope is a simple light-weight Leopold 4X.

I developed a small game handload using 100 grain bullets loaded down, that has no kick and spits it out at 2000 fps and shoots dead on at 100 yd at the same scope setting as a 200 yd zero with 130 grain factory loads. Makes it fun to bag tree squirrels for dinner if the option presents itself . At that velocity the bullet doesn't expand and blow dinner into smithereens.