Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Camping
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Camping The Camping forum is for discussion that relates directly to wilderness camping (commonly referred to as car camping).

Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

so noted. i think i'll want to shop for as idiot proof as possible(not because steve's dumb, he's just either lazy or rushed), so i'll keep that in mind.

since we're here in this topic, and i think it's related, anyone have an opinion of the GSI personal press? it intruiges me so, and i think i can get around the leaking issue with some food-grade silicon tape.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Quilt
Shelter: BA Copper Spur UL2 or WBBB Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
anyone have an opinion of the GSI personal press?

I bought the older model a year or so ago with the idea of taking it backpacking....then realized after testing it at home that was stupid since you have to clean the nasty mess it leaves behind. That's all beside the point since your talking about car camping. Just saying for others that might read this.

Mine was just the simple clear plastic press. With a pathetic skinny wrap around Velcro insulator.

Overall the coffee was good but since it doesn't have a more elaborate mechanism to keep the plunger sealed to the outer barrel, grounds definitely get through. And yes, I personalty ground the coffee to Press size granules. To you and me, it's fine, but if somebody is moody about grounds...well. There was a screen in the lid that lined up with the spout that was suppose to catch some of the "leave behind" grounds but it gets plugged up immediately and you can't poor out of it. So you end up lifting the lid to poor which risked raising the plunger which risked releasing grounds. You also have to push so hard on the plunger you think your going to break it. That might have got better over time.

I would think the new generation one improved on that since it was so obvious. Looks like they claim they have some sort of split ring plunger now that suppose to help blow-by. The improved insulator is a must since it does cool down quick since you have to let it sit for a bit. Looks like they removed that extra screen too. This might be a worthless email....sorry;->

When I car camp I peculate and think it's fun.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Osprey Aether
Sleeping Gear: Big Agnes Lost Ranger
Shelter: REI Quarter Dome

Just to throw this out there. The french press on the jetboil works really well, plus an efficient stove, pot, cup and lid is included.

But I know it's not for everyone.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM

bass- it's crossed my mind, believe it or not... those jetboils are NICE. they're also spendy. if they made a bigger one(steve and robin take their coffee generously, and they usually brew for one or both of their sons as well as others) i'd think long and hard about just dropping the cash.

jim - i played around with one in REI last week.. it looks like they've since played with it some(i didn't notice the second filter you mentioned, but that could have been the floor model) and made some improvements. the insulation on the press itself is a full sleeve now, and semi-thick, but could be thicker. the new plunger has rings like you'd find on a car's pistons, and seems like it presses better now. the fit looks closer too. we'll find out soon how it performs for me.

target also makes a 'unbreakable' press, that's fairly big... so i have options. just have to shop around.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Quilt
Shelter: BA Copper Spur UL2 or WBBB Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuursoo
the new plunger has rings like you'd find on a car's pistons, and seems like it presses better now. the fit looks closer too.

I was wondering if that was what they were talking about. Sounds like they made some real improvements. Let us know how it goes. I like the idea of them, wish I could take it backpacking but would like to get one for car camping like you said.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 AM

The bigger they are the slower they cool down too; thermal mass and all. but with the Thermos type double wall of the IKEA unit that isn't a big problem, they do seem to be fairly robust and the filter works, Have to say tho that when camping I usually don't bother and drink Freeze-dried instant
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM

This is a Bodum Bistro Mug Press. The two key parts (cylinder and plunger) weigh four ounces. It makes great coffee, but cleanup is a pain.

Last edited by big_load : 01-03-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

That Bodum Bistro Mug Press looks like a good size.

I have the GSI Personal Java Press.

I don't think plastic is that good for a container.

I did ask a coffee expert how I might improve my "camp coffee".

No kidding, here is what he suggested, as he proceeded to make a cup of coffee for me. Take a few coffee beans, pulverize them coarsely in a pestle (he had a wooden pestle) and then pour boiling water over the grounds, then pour thru a sieve (it looked like a tea ball, not finer) then throw on a little splash of very cold water (we happened to be practically surrounded by cold water).

He said, now you can use your coffee press, if you like, for the final straining, but instead just tap the container sharply, the grains will fall, wait a little, and pour off the top, the coffee will be clear enough.

He said, his Norwegian grandmother taught him how to make coffee.

I have to say, it was an excellent cup of coffee.

I do think it is best to start with the whole coffee beans.

Last edited by ConnieD : 01-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM

i suppose i should have stipulated(in italicized, flashing, brightly colored font), that my mother in law is the motivation behind this research, and she is the furthest thing from any sort of 'tough it out' camper.

and as i said, my father in law can be a bit careless when he gets rushed. which she does to him often.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Funny thing, we were just given one of the Ikea insulated plungers as a housewarming present, still nice and shiny, hoping to test it soon