Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Hammocks
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Hammocks The Hammocks forum is for the discussion of backpacking hammocks and related sleep systems.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Hammock and dogs

Do any of you that use hammocks travel with your dogs? If so do you just set up an area under you tarp for the dog to sleep? What about it bugs are bad, do you do anything different?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

This is an interesting topic. It's unique in that it is specifically directed at hammock users.

Since most (nearly all) are unlikely to have their dog (especially larger dogs) in their hammock with them, the question of where their dog sleeps is interesting one (certainly when comparing the responses of ground sleepers which is best discussed in other existing threads: Sleeping with Dogs, Dogs and Shelters, Light shelter for traveling with dog,...).

The little hammocking that I did with a dog present involved the dog sleeping underneath or closeby the hammock. In those (good weather) instances, there was no specific, individual shelter provided for the dog.

Reality
Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member
Backpack: jam2
Sleeping Gear: 3 season TQ
Shelter: 10x11 hex tarp

it is an interesting and overlooked idea, in that you either allow your dog to sleep directly under your tarp (if using one) and hammock body, or you provide your dog with his own shelter, allowing the extra weight and volume required to carry such a shelter. I have used (and recommend) a mini-sized cat cut Hex-shaped tarp, just like one you might see over a hammock, just downsized for a pet. Many dog owners will outfit their best friend with a "dog pack" and the hex tarp I use fits easily inside. Your buddy can carry his own shelter!
of course, there is no commercially availble product like this that Im aware of, so it is a DIY project. see attachment (shown pitched high, but you get the idea of shape/coverage )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogtarp copy.jpg (92.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 02-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Interesting thought in carrying an additional tarp for the dog, I guess it might be a good use for a larger Cat cut tarp.

How funny, using a Cat to protect the dog.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

A friend of mine hammock camps with his dog.

In most weather, Sky is under his tarp laying on some Tyvek. But since Sky has a tendency to take off after wildlife he ties a rope around his belt and attaches the other end to Sky's collar at night. I don't think he's been pulled out of his hammock -- yet!

Now that Sky is getting older, he just bought a mini pop-up tent that he carries for Sky when camping in cold weather so she can stay warmer.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Backpack: No Limits
Sleeping Gear: No Limits
Shelter: No Limits

The extra wieght of a extra tarp or tent would be about the same as making a bigger tarp to cover more for your 4 legged trail buddy and with just one you would save time on set up and take down
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I just adopted a 2 yr old Lab/shep mix and hoping she will make a good hiking dog. Haven't taken her out yet but I'm hoping she will sleep under my hammock tent on a tarp since she sleeps next to my bed at night with no problems. Been thinking about that all weekend. Glad someone else was thinking about it, too!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Writergirlinla,

Staying under hammock -- Do you have some place to practice (with treats) before you go out into woods? I'd suggest backyard testing first. The go to park or woods for some more short practice sessions before heading out for an overnight.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM

When I was still using a net backpacking hammock, my backpacking buddy and I had three rather large dogs (big Plott Hound littermates). We took all three with us on our various two or three day expeditions. My friend slept on the ground, usually under a small tarp or in a bivvy.

I'd set up where there were reasonably thick beds of leaves and two of them would invariably sleep under my tarp on the leaves, the other (her "baby") would crawl in next to her or just lie next to her if she was using a sack.

We were probably dumb and should have leashed them at the time, but they never ran off during the night, even when we had stuff wander near camp, so we gave them free reign of choosing sleeping site(s) (I wouldn't do that any more, especially with the dogs I have now). That's where they chose to sleep.

Mind you, these dogs were kenneled outside and used to whatever weather they were facing, and we were in the south in usually good weather. Had it been particularly harsh, they'd probably all have piled in the shelter with my friend (and I'd likely have slept on the ground too -- this was pre-underquilt days)
Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 AM

Interesting that this topic surfaced now. I'm getting my gear together for the upcoming summer season and this has been a topic at the forefront of my mind. Our dog is nearing 2yrs old and well acclimated to hiking/trail running with me. We have not ventured into the outdoors for any overnight adventures with her yet. I've carried my ENO double on many day hikes and napped in it plenty, I have however never relied on it as primary shelter/nesting on any multiday trips. Years ago I had 2 hammocks strung inside my house. I slept many nights in those

As I am considering it more seriously for this summer (for reasons of comfort and just the pure satisfaction I would get out of it) I've been going around in a circle on the topic of where the dog would sleep. It's not going to be freezing, a leash will keep her from wandering off--although I don't think she would anyways. So maybe it's not a big deal. I like the idea of a small extra tarp strung below/nearby for her to sleep. We'll see. Maybe I'll string up in the backyard and experiment with which solutions she seems to favor before packing my bag.