Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I have a titanium Snow Peak set I use for boiling water. I carry a lightweight GSI plastic mug for morning coffee (or evening tea if I am in the mood). I make coffee, then I warm up water for oatmeal or warm cereal. And then I warm up water for more coffee. This is one time (especially mornings) where a single mug just won't do.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I have mainly been using the 1 cup "classic" plastic cup, the kind you got in the sheet metal mess kits. I usually carry two. One to eat/drink from, and one to measure with or for a friend.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

I have a Snow Peak titanium cup for me and a plastic one for my grandson so that he doesn't burn his lips on a hot drink. The Snow Peak cup also doubles as a snuffer if I'm using my alcohol stove.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I wanted a lightweight plastic measuring cup that would handle hot water and fit inside my cooking pot. I had some of the green plastic cups that you see everywhere, but I would have to cut the handle off to get one that would fit inside my pot and the cup only holds 8 Oz. filled to the brim. I ended up cutting down a $1.67 Mix and Serve container. It holds 16 Oz. and is marked every 2 Oz. The label says that it is dishwasher safe and it appears to be be made of polypropylene, but doesn't say. I cut the handle off with a razor knife and then scored it at the 10 Oz. line. I used a very fine toothed Xacto saw to cut the cup off and then fire polished the top edge with a butane lighter. This left me with a nearly cylindrical cup marked from 2 Oz. to 8 Oz. and a little freeboard to help keep me from slopping hot water on to my hands. The only disappointment was the weight. The green plastic cups weigh 22g and this one weighs 32g. I'll have to see how useful it is to see if I can justify the extra 10g.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Golite Jam
Sleeping Gear: Golite quilt
Shelter: SMD Gatewood Cape

I've been collecting cups over the past couple of years. I tried the Halulite Minimalist, SP 700, plastic mess kit cups, Orikaso foldable and a S2S X-mug. And just drinking out of my cook-pot. I decided I wanting something to do double-duty as a cup and cook-pot, as I usually just heat 2 cups of water for dehydrated pouches plus a little more for a hot drink. So, I did a lot of semi-scientific testing (I'll leave that out. It's boring) with my stove setup and decided I wanted something wide and short, but with a large capacity.

I spotted a Vargo Sierra 750 on sale and nabbed it. The swiss army/jack of all trades versatility trade-offs are all workable for me. Titanium is super light and quick to heat, but a lip-burner. The lip burns are mostly negated because the rim cools off really quickly. In fact, all of it cools off as quickly as it heats, which I can work out with a bandanna or something. It has a lid, with little drain/steam holes, which I can drink through if I clamp down on the lid to minimize leakage. The fold-out handle is out of the flame so I can grab it without using a glove. This pot was the most efficient for my stove setup and it packs best with my setup, so I'm willing to work around the disadvantages. It meets my very disparate requirements and does all the jobs I might need it for adequately. Plus, I read that it works well as a little wok, if I decide to bring some vegetables.

I guess the bottom line is: if you're looking for a dedicated drinking mug, just about anything will work well, but if you're looking to cook in it also, you may have to do some experimenting and make some concessions.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I have several including the Sea to Summit X-cup that fits into my older Esbit .5 liter stove kit, a pair of the silicone Outdoor Products collapsible cups and bowls and my latest, for solo use:
Solo Cook Set - 3" dia. x 3.5" h., 4.3 oz., orange mesh stuff sack
Toaks 450ml cup with Snow Peak Hot Lips, MBD lid
No-Spill alcohol stove with pot stand, 1 oz. measuring cup, GSI UL shaker
3.25" titanium windscreen, Toaks folding spoon,
packet of small strike anywhere matches
Carried outside the cook set: 4 oz. oval fuel bottle
Carried in the MS Cairn lumbar pack.

I decided to use the taller Toaks 450ml, 80mm cup for this kit. Several years ago I picked up an odd-size cup lid from MiniBull Designs. It was cheap and I figured I’d find a use for it. It has been sitting in the box ever since but it turns out to be a perfect fit for the 80mm cup. I got the stove to try the wicking arrangement. This is a top-burner, ideal for heating a cup of small diameter, and required a pot stand, in this case a hardware cloth stand integrated into the stove. I never used this in the field due to the difficulty of carrying it, but it fits neatly into the cup with the measuring cup and shaker stored within the pot stand, the folding spoon slides alongside, with the windscreen coiled inside the cup making a light, compact kit that fits easily into the pack.