Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backcountry Kitchen
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backcountry Kitchen The Backcountry Kitchen forum is for the discussion of food and cooking gear related topics for backpacking trips (e.g. menus, recipes, stoves, fuel...).

Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Golite Jam, ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Lafuma 1000g DN
Shelter: Hennessy ULBA

I use the small 8 oz pot from a Coleman Max anodized aluminum cook set. The set comes with four nesting pots with folding wire handles and the small one is just right as a coffee mug. I eliminated the second smallest pot (12 oz ?) from the set which makes room in the nested kit for coffee bags and condiments as well as a fuel canister.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Senior Member
Backpack: Mountainsmith Maverick 65
Sleeping Gear: ALPS +20 mummy
Shelter: Kelty Noah 9x9

i tote along a old fashioned enameled cup for drinking, and i've got a 16 oz sierra cup that i recently got. it makes a dandy mixing bowl, soup bowl, and jack of trades container. i've got a plan to use it to not just collect huckleberries, but to cook them down to a syrup next summer at the coast.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I use a plastic insulated mug with a snap on lid that I originally bought at a fund-raiser for an outdoors school. A 4 oz. non-dual use luxury, but my tea is always hot, and I do freezer bag cooking without a bowl for everything else. It's been the one constant in my pack for the past 20 years.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Trailwise External-Frame with various bags
Sleeping Gear: Down-filled Quilts
Shelter: Tarp

I was given a GSI Halulite Minimalist cup/pot set. Used it last trip as cup, bowl, and second pot. The telescoping foon, the pot pincher, and the insulating sleeve all worked fine. I will carry this double-duty set instead on a separate insulated cup from now on. Halulite is as light as titanium, but less expensive. My one wish is that the neoprene insulating sleeve were a different/brighter color as I almost set the pot with sleeve on my stove. That would be a big, stinky "Oops!"
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I have several, carried depending upon the specific trip.

One that is always in my pocket is the flat Bob Lane cup - 2 pieces of stainless steel riveted in oblong slots to fold flat or open to form a conical water cup. I haven't seen these for some time but they may be available somewhere.

I have 2 8 oz. stainless steel Rocky cups, a deeper version of the Sierra cup less tippy and less prone to sloshing than the Sierra cup. The Rocky was available in a pint version with lid but I never got one. Like the Bob Lane, this seems to be NA at this time (but I sure wish someone would start making them again). I use these in the small canoe kit and when car camping.

The Snow Peak Sierra with the fold-out handle is usually in the day pack. I can heat water in it as well as drinking from it.

The cups I use most are the Swedish Fold-A-Cup in both the small (6 oz.) and large (20 oz.) sizes as cup and bowl respectively. These nest together, can handle boiling water, have a degree of insulation and are tough, compact and light.

I have carried the GI canteen cup (under the GI canteen) for more years than I care to think about. It's role now is in the heavy-duty bugout kit. It's on the heavy side but is the soldier's multi-purpose standby, cup, cook pot, wash basin, even usable as a shovel. If you need something that will not fail in use this is it.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

My most recent addition to my mugs and cups collection is one of Sea to Summit's X-mugs (nothing like supporting an Aussie company - their corporate headquarters is in Perth, even if much of their stuff is made in China..) - weighs under 3 ozs, along with a X-bowl (a bit over 3 ozs..), and a carry bag, this little set comes in under 7 ounces. So even with a spork and a small teatowel/washcloth, this lot should still be comfortably under half a pound - now I will just have to see how they stand up over time..

Up until now, my favourite travel/worksite mug was a melamine plastic item that I picked up in a camping store many moons ago - cost double of what the supermarket ones might have, but it's heavier, still going well, easier to clean, and keeps the contents hotter or cooler for much longer.

For day trips and car trips carrying a thermos can be more covenient for hot drinks - a 1 litre stainless steel thermos (with cup/lid) may even weigh less than a stove/fuel/mug combo' - and it's carrying a litre of water, so that's one water bottle less, as well..
I also have one of those Army kidney/G.I. mugs here as well, along with a couple of Esbit stoves, but haven't used them for a good while now.

IF I were heading off on a car camping/touring trip then all of these ~ plus a couple of thermal (double walled..) mugs, and a couple of old enamelled mugs ~ could be keeping company with the rest of my kitchen/mess kit in a plastic crate...
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

I have a GSI "Infinity" mug. I like its lid and insulating sleeve, which keep beverages hot longer than my old lidless plastic mug, and which keep me from burning my fingers. It's very lightweight, and compact since it has no handle.

The one thing the mug was missing (note the past tense) was hash marks to measure liquids with. I discovered the insulating sleeve slides off pretty easily, and that exposes the translucent mug. I poured liquid into it a 1/4 cup at a time and scored the outside of the mug with a knife, and filled the score mark in with a sharpie pen. Then I did the same on the other side of the mug 1/3 of a cup at a time. Now my mug has measuring marks. I do have to slide the sleeve off to see them, but that works fine for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: ULA Circuit
Sleeping Gear: Golite Quilt
Shelter: BA Copper Spur UL2 or WBBB Hammock

I've got a few of those GSI infinity mugs as well. Great functionality for the weight and so cheap.

Been happy with my SP Dbl wall 450 but my newest addition is the SP 600 single wall with HotLips. Bought a cozy for it trying to make it my all in one solution for solo use(pot and mug). Made a lid from a can top but will probably replace it with a Four Dogs lid later. That can lid will probably start to rust.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Old fashioned Sierra cup. Haven't used any other for 8 years.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Mariposa Plus / REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Eureka Silver City / Lafuma WnL 600
Shelter: Tarptent Squall 2 / Appy Trails Mark V

For a mug I prefer the GSI halulite minimalist cookset. Once you return the pot to the insulated sleeve and snap on the lid it is a great mug. By the time the coffee cools enough for me to drink it gets cold really quick. I used a stainless mug for making coffee but it took longer to heat the water.

Sometimes I still carry the minimalist cookset for a mug even when I am carry my microdualist cookset.