Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Bikepacking
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Bikepacking The Bikebacking forum is for discussion that relates directly to bikepacking (also known as bicycle camping). Subject matter should involve the backpacking/camping/bike gear and trip planning as it relates to mountain biking and bicycle touring.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Pictures of Loaded Rigs (Bikes)

Please post pics of your loaded bikepacking rigs. Notes on duration of trip (days riding versus days backpacking) and terrain covered would probably be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

--J
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus
Sleeping Gear: Homemade down quilt
Shelter: Tarp

I was just about to start a new thread just like this, but I guess I'll resurrect this one instead.

From one of my recent outings:

2007 Trek 520 with Deuter Rack Pack Uni's. My down quilt is in the orange dry bag and the yellow bag is my GoLite Shangra-La 3. Also on top but not seen is the inner net of the tarp and my sleeping pad. the overal load weight is ~30lbs.

I'm thinking about switching to a front rack set up. Moving the weight to the front wheel adds more stability, especially on climbs. I would keep the sleep and shelter items strapped the the back.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

This is loaded for an overnight trip. The panniers are 15 liters each and drysack is a 30 liter bag. I am riding a Catrike Pocket.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Backpack: Deuter Act Trail 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger
I was just about to start a new thread just like this, but I guess I'll resurrect this one instead.

From one of my recent outings:

2007 Trek 520 with Deuter Rack Pack Uni's. My down quilt is in the orange dry bag and the yellow bag is my GoLite Shangra-La 3. Also on top but not seen is the inner net of the tarp and my sleeping pad. the overal load weight is ~30lbs.

I'm thinking about switching to a front rack set up. Moving the weight to the front wheel adds more stability, especially on climbs. I would keep the sleep and shelter items strapped the the back.

Awesome set up. I guess my exercise rides on my Cannondale with my Deuter Attack 20 backpack is small league compared to your set up. Just out of curiosity, what is the farthest you ever rode with this set-up? Again, very nice.

Ed
Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Backpack: Deuter Act Trail 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_N9ZYE
This is loaded for an overnight trip. The panniers are 15 liters each and drysack is a 30 liter bag. I am riding a Catrike Pocket.

Cool bike sir. What is the furthest distance you rode with set-up? Have a great day!

Ed
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Detours 40L or Bike Panniers
Sleeping Gear: Homemade Synthetic Quilt
Shelter: North Face Mica FL 2

Here's my 1990 Trek 750 (Same frame geometry and tubing as the 520 touring bike of the early 90s, but sold as a hybrid.) built up as a touring bike. It's still a work in progress as I dial in bike fit, hence the unwrapped bars. Here it's loaded for a 3 day, 2 night, ~100mi round trip. Mostly hardpack dirt and gravel trail. Tent is in the pack with the poles bungeed to the outside/bottom of the pack on the other side. Total weight of pack/tent/bag is ~30lbs. The bike handled well packed as pictured, but the effect of having all of the weight up high was definitely noticeable when standing for steep climbs or fast starts to cross roads.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 07-12-2016, 10:49 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Surly Long Haul Trucker loaded up for 3 days, 2 nights going up north to my cabin.

[IMG][/IMG]