Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Mountaineering
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Mountaineering The Mountaineering forum is for discussion that relates directly to mountaineering (alpinism, climbing).

Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Crampons

Here's a thread for those who use crampons to share information about them. Which brand/model/type do you use, and what has been your experience with them.

Thanks for your participation.

Reality
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Arc'Teryx Needle 65
Sleeping Gear: WM Ponderosa
Shelter: MH SkyLedge

Have a had a pair of large SMC hinged 12 pointers for ages.
They grew with me (2 screws on each crampon to adjust from 10 to 12 size boot) as I continuously abused them on glacier and rock. Have replaced the straps a couple times and once in a while I would file the points sharp for the heck of it.
These last few years or more I have been using a pair of Grivel 10 pointers that I purchased because they were lighter, will attach to any boots, pack down smaller and I'm not doing as much extreme glacial slopes.
They are not as forgiving as the SMC's and with some care seem to do fine crossing the occasional early spring stream gravel and rock bands breaking out of perennial snow and glacier.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Thanks for sharing, RW.

Also, I'd be interested in any feedback that others have with regard to any of the crampons in the C.A.M.P. USA XLC Crampon series.

Reality
Old 11-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Another SMC owner (both my wife and I)

Rigid crampons are best for the vertical, but for all around use the SMC units hold up great and seem fairly rust resistant with minimal care
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I've got a pair of CAMP hinged crampons that I scored on eBay a while back. They've got nut-and-bolt adjustments for length and width; at their longest and widest, they just fit my size 13 hiking boots.

They're an older design, with big heavy rubberized straps. But they were cheap, and they work.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I use GAB crampons, a German company that made Salewa crampons and gear for years. They are a strap on flexible crampon with a scottish style straps. They are easily adjusted from boot to boot using a screw type adjustment that adjusts easily for length and width.

I use them in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the mountains of Western Maine for winter hiking and mountaineering on a variety of boots from plastics and heavy hikers to Columbia Ice Dragons (an insulted pac style boot). They have served me well and are very durable. If I had to replace them tomorrow, I would go with another pair. My second choice would be a set of SMC Blue Ice hinged crampons.

I have friends that use both the Grivel G10s with the classic (plastic) and Petzl Vasaks with Flexlock bindings. I have tried them and find the plastic bindings make it harder to get a snug fit on flexible boots and they are bulkier to pack.

The GABs may be harder to find but they are well worth it.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member
Backpack: Pod Black Ice
Shelter: Hilleberg Akto

I use Grivel Airtech crampons. 12-point semi-rigid with newmatic bindings -they're similar to the G12s but the front points are shorter so less chance of tripping up when walking.

They are probably a bit over the top if you are just going to walk in them but I use them as an 'all round' crampon for walking and climbing (easy snow, ice or mixed routes).
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

My son and I are contemplating the participation in a mountaineering course to be held in the Cascades - Mount Adams. We would be practicing some skills including traversing a glacier. The guide as suggested we use Black Diamond's Sabertooth crampon. What can someone tell me about this crampon? What are the other comparable models? Black Diamond gear is generally reliable. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 AM

Has anyone got any experience of Grivel Spider Crampons? These aren't true crampons but just short metal spikes on a flat plate that attach to the bottom of a shoe or a boot. They're not an alternative to crampons, just to give extra grip when crossing packed snow or ice. (I'm thinking of using them instead of poles which I don't like but which are the only thing I've got that would stop me sliding off the ice and down the mountainside.)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM

I am gearing up for next year's winter season where I am attending a winter mountaineering school in the Adirondacks. I purchased a pair of Lowa Civetta GTX Extreme boots (ugly lime green in color) and now I need some crampons. Any suggestions would be great. I am not doing ice climbing just general hiking and peak bagging.