Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Mountaineering
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Mountaineering The Mountaineering forum is for discussion that relates directly to mountaineering (alpinism, climbing).

Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX VS. Kayland M11+

Looking at purchasing an all around leather mountaineering boot for climbing in the Winter in the White Mnts. of NH and some future climbs such as Mnt. Whitney and Rainier.

I have researched and have narrowed it down to La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX VS. Kayland M11+. Can anyone give advice on which to purchase?
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 04-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

My first suggestion would be to try on each pair. If that is not possible call an outdoor shop that sells both and see if you can talk to a bootfitter about how they fit. I like Kayland stuff, I have a pair of their Apex Trek, and I used to own a pair of their MXT mountaineering boots.

LS makes good stuff too, but sometimes their boots are pretty narrow. However the Nepal Evo's are built on the same last as the Baturas, which I have, and they are plenty room in the toe box for my feet. I wear a size 9D and the Baturas fit me well.

Either boot would be fine for Rainier or Whitney in the spring through fall. I would want something a bit warmer for winter use, though a pair of OR Brooks Range overboots or MH absolute zero boots would help for standing around in camp.

Jason
Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

You could probably flip a coin as far as quality and function goes.

I shopped for and bought a pair of that style boot last year and I found the experience to be similar to that I have when buying hockey skates.....there isn't any room for error as far as fit goes. So really, make your choice on how they feel.

I ended up with the Lowa Mountain Expert boots. Maybe a step down from these two but similar in that they are insulated. I also do most of my hiking in the White's and found these were great most of the time but fell short on warmth for my overnight trips (when there's time just sitting around not generating body heat).
If you plan on going out in the dead of winter....you may want to consider double boots. It's a tough call.......I did a lot of research, rented boots to try and so on. I think it boils down to there's not one boot that's perfect for all winter so I had to suck it up and get two pairs. A a pair similar to what you're looking at for when it's decent weather in the winter and a pair of double boots for when it gets nasty.

Take that with a grain of salt though......I see plenty of people doing just what I do with those La Sportiva's and things seem to work out for them.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 AM

One comment about double boots.. the industry seems to be going away from them. What I have found for sitting around camp is to use an Overboot like the OR Brooks Range boot. In camp I usually put on some down boots then put on the overboots and take my La Sportiva's off. But I can put my LS inside of my overboots. Just something to consider.

Jason
Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Sorry for the delay, I am new to this site. I really apprecitate you taking the time to reply and I am heeding your advise. I am going to try on the Nepal Evos soon but am having a hard time locating any local dealers that carry the Kayland.

Again thanks and happy climbing!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

La Sportiva Lhotse

I have an older pair of the La Sportiva Lhotses. They are heavy compared to the newer models but toasty and I feel really secure in them, no issues kicking steps in hard snow.

This last winter I was using my La Sportiva Glaciers paired with RBH VaprThrn liner socks down to zero with never a cold toe. I had to use a thinner outer sock to make up for the lesser amount of space in the boot.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 PM

I just had the chance to use some Vasque Mpossible SS on a Rainier trip this past weekend. They did an ok job, but I found that they were pretty hard to get laced very tightly. I used the standard BOA lacing Mpossible's last year and they were much better for getting a secure fit. Just thought I would mention them as another possible option since they have a nice roomy toe box and are true to size.

jason B