Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Wilderness Photography
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Wilderness Photography The Wilderness Photography forum is for the discussion of photography (videography) gear, experience, and technique as it directly relates to wilderness photography. PBF members may also post self-owned photos that have been uploaded to the PB Gallery or as post attachments. Offsite links and offsite photos are prohibited. Please see ("sticky") instructional post located at top of threads.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I'm currently testing a Cotton Carrier and will be using one on an upcoming bcakpacking trip. I use the chest holster, since having the camera on the side holster makes hiking difficult. Will update when I find out how it turns out with about a 3-4 lb load.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

A Sherpa comes to mind.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pinner
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Keyhole Camera harness made by Back country Solutions.
It looks like a great solution, but has no weather protection, so I'd have to come up with something on my own.
I'd like to find a way to modify it so it could be worn without the pack, but the straps would get in the way.
I've been using the Keyhole Camera harness for the last three months with my Nikon D90 DSLR and a Very Large Lens (18mm-200mm). I used to carry it over my shoulder for easy access, or stash it in the top of my pack when I had to get through some gnarly terrain - or it was just super boring and I wasn't planning to take photos.

I really, really like this product. It is simple, easy to use, and can be used with most existing backpacks. It doesn't work with my Osprey day pack because they have a different sternum strap set up, so you would have to make some special modifications (sewing a nylon band to the backpack strap).

For weather and sweat protection, I have a small rectangle of waterproof nylon that I made into a camera "poncho", fastened with a rubber band. It's very low-tech, but gets the job done. I made the rectangle out of an old stuff sack that was partially damaged. If the weather is really bad, I put the camera in my backpack.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Osprey Argon 85
Sleeping Gear: Western Mountaineering
Shelter: Hilleberg Soulo

Just finished about 70 miles of the CDT in 6 days carrying a Nikon D7000 with the 18-105mm kit lens. Considered several possibilities, including a Think Tank holster with harness which I though would be to bulky. The camera made the trip in a Zing neoprene cover and a Kata neoprene neck strap. Seemed to work well. Putting my left arm through the strap and then moving the strap over my head to my right shoulder would leave the camera hanging on my left side, supported by my shoulder and the harness on my pack. It seemed to stay where I put it without banging as I walked. This has been a problem in the past when hiking with a camera, or anything for that matter, around my neck. Any cleaning gear, filters, etc stayed in the pack until needed. The neoprene cover is said to be waterproof, but I did cover it with a plastic bag when it did rain just in case. Not saying this is the best option, I am always looking for ways to improve, but it was reasonably fast to get to and out of the way when not in use.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM

I didn't see anyone post anything about it on here, but I've looked at F-stop bags, they have some great set ups.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Kelty Redcloud (temporary)
Sleeping Gear: Kelty Corumel
Shelter: Nemo Losi p3

On our Grand Teton trip this August, my former exchange student from Germany was struggling with this. . . We made him a camera harness - it attached to existing pack straps at the right hip and left shoulder. Attached to the camera with short lengths of dyneema cord and 2 mini s-biners. The main harness part was 1" webbing, the key here was that on the left side the webbing was adjustable length, and on the right side, proximal to the camera, there was a quick release Fidlock magnet gadget. This allowed him to use 1 hand, often still holding a trekking pole, to release the camera and the other hand to position with. And because the left side was fixed, if he dropped it or let it swing there was no danger of damage. The camera body only rubbed against his shirt, so no damage there, and for in pack carry we made a fleece lined Cuban fiber carry sac with a wrap of the same for his lenses. Clearly no one was ultra light or even light weight here. . . But seeing as his camera weighed as much as some of y'alls base weight, it wasn't even a consideration!

( I would post a pic but don't now how from the iPad, sorry!)
Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM

I wear my camera around my neck and use an Op/Tech Stabilizer Strap to secure the camera just above my waist. I love it! It's cheap, doesn't interfere with my ability to use trekking poles, my camera doesn't bounce around, it's super lightweight, and I always have easy access to my camera. Because the opening is stretchy neoprene, I can use my widest lens (10-22mm) without a problem. I also have a Zing neoprene camera cover for weather protection, and the opening will still accomodate my camera with the wide lens on and the Zing cover over it.

StabilizerStrap[1].jpg
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM

I can confirm that the Cotton Carrier works great! Short two day backpacking trip and it was fine. Stow the it away in your bag if you're not actively shooting, although that will take up some space.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 PM

I use a black widow clip and pad from Spiderpro. The clip consists of a pin that screws into the tripod plate hole on the bottom of the camera, a holster clip that stays on my hipbelt, and a pad with a loop that sits below the clip. It's like a "quick draw" rig for a camera. When not shooting, you hang the camera on the holster clip and loop the elastic strap on the pad around the lens to keep it from banging around. When you need the camera, unstrap the lens from the elastic, press the button on the holster and the pin unlocks and you lift the camera out. Comfortable for all day wear and the holster is not affected by the weather, but it offers no weather protection for the camera.