Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ General Outdoors (Backpacking Related) > Wilderness Photography
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Wilderness Photography The Wilderness Photography forum is for the discussion of photography (videography) gear, experience, and technique as it directly relates to wilderness photography. PBF members may also post self-owned photos that have been uploaded to the PB Gallery or as post attachments. Offsite links and offsite photos are prohibited. Please see ("sticky") instructional post located at top of threads.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

How to Carry Large Cameras?

I recently took my first trip in Sequoia National Park. I knew early on that having my Nikon D80 DSLR would be really important to me.

Once on the trail, I quickly realized that there was no good way to keep the camera on the outside of my pack, as my hands were occupied with trekking poles. I tried hanging it on the side of my pack but it just banged around and scratched up the camera body.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before? If so, have you found a way to safely secure a larger camera (with strap) like an SLR onto your pack in a way that allows you to grab it and shoot quickly?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance

Kit
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
PBF Administrator & PB Podcast Host

Front/sternum packs (connected to your backpack's straps), side pouches (attached to hipbelt), and large waistpacks are some options. These can be bulky (...), but if you want to be able to quickly access your camera, they are functional options.

Otherwise, as you know, you'll have to put your camera out of reach or have it bouncing against you as you hike.

Reality
Old 11-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: Depends on trip conditions. I have 4 to choose from. 2 Keltys, 1 Gregory, 1 MEC pack
Sleeping Gear: POE Max Thermo pad/MEC -3 Merlin
Shelter: TarpTent Double Rainbow

I use a LowePro Apex 110 AW to carry my Canon Powershot S3 IS, along with an adapter tube and filters plus 4 spare Sanyo Eneloop Ni Mah batteries, spare media cards and a blower brush, on the Sternum Strap of my pack(s)

124927.jpg

Comfy, secure and most importantly, easily ready to use at a moments notice.

124934.jpg

I don't find this arrangement bothersome or impeding in any way. I also find that the camera is more 'protected' when carried here, as it will not be subjected to the abuse as it is when attached to the side of your pack, or even on the hip belt.

Dusty
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

When I read "large camera", I thought this would be about a 5x7 field camera.

My camera case for my handheld has a loop for my hip belt. I just gotta be careful when I unbuckle, because it's not secured to the belt.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I use a LowePro Nova 2 for my olympus 510 & 2 lenses. I primarily use the shoulder strap after putting on the backpack, and it really isn't uncomfortable at all. Nice arm rest.
Helps to use only one trekking pole too - doubles as a monopod.

The Nova has belt loops, and should fit my new pack, but they're small, and didn't fit the usual hip belt for a Backpack.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

I have carried my Nikon D70 with 18-70 kit lens in a Tamrac Digital Zoom 4 sternum bag hanging from the D-rings on my shoulder straps on small carabiners. I typically leave the zipper open and clip the side-release buckle to keep the lid closed. I keep the camera strap around my neck

. I also use poles, and either have a partner hold them or find something to lean them against to keep from having to bend over and pick them up off of the ground while taking pictures.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Backpack: Granite Gear
Sleeping Gear: MEC Raptor
Shelter: Eureka!

that's a great idea Dusty - I usually take a pelican case and my Fuji s7000 digital - but I still have to carry it in my hands or the top of my pack. I'll have to set up something like you've shown - that would be helpful... thanks for posting the photos
Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Backpack: Depends on trip conditions. I have 4 to choose from. 2 Keltys, 1 Gregory, 1 MEC pack
Sleeping Gear: POE Max Thermo pad/MEC -3 Merlin
Shelter: TarpTent Double Rainbow

No problem Laurie!
I might point out, .... rather delicately ... that it works well for me and those that are comfortable using a Sternum Strap. I know it can be uncomfortable for some women to use them, for obvious reasons, so check that out 1st. If you are comfortable wearing one buckled up, then you'll find you'll be taking way more shots while ambling down the trail!

Ken
Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 PM

I use a top loading Lowepro bag, there are several sizes, with the optional chest strap to carry a Nikon D200 and 18-200mm zoom.

The chest strap is adjustable and fits well under my pack straps. Another advantage to the chest strap is that it will work with all of my packs.

I sometimes use a small carabiner on my pack straps to clip my hiking poles to while shooting so that I do not have to set them down and forget to pick them up.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM

How to carry slr camera?

I am going to be backpacking this summer and want to carry my Canon slr. I will be bringing a 60mm macro and a 70-200 zoom lens. I don't want to put it in my pack, because I want easy access while hiking without having to remove the pack. I thought some sort of hip pack. Any suggestions?
Sponsored links