Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 09-10-2011, 12:51 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I have the Exped Downmat 9 sleeping pad and the chair sleeve that goes with it. Together they make a comfy camp chair and possibly the bext sleeping pad available. Unlike the Thermarest set-up (which I used previously) the sleeve fully envelopes the pad and remains on during sleep -- providing extra protection for the pad.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: GoLite Pinnacle
Sleeping Gear: Moonstone Lucid 800 w/Neo Air pad
Shelter: Tarptent Sublite Tyvek & Tarptent Double Rainbow

My brother in law brought an Alite Monarch Butterfly Chair while hiking the Eagle Rock Loop with me in Arkansas last year. He also brought a whole bunch of other stuff to keep comfortable--except his 50 lb. load wasn't. He packed so much that he left his sleeping bag behind. Once it got down to freezing at night, he wished he had the bag instead of the chair and we ended up using my down bag as a quilt. When our trail crossed a Forest Service road, the chair and about 20 lb. of other "comforts" got stashed in the woods for retrieval later. For the rest of our hike, we sat on logs and rocks. We both had enough extraneous padding to make that work.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Recently at a store I had the opportunity to try out the ENO lounger, I have to say that it was extremely comfortable. I have been thinking about ditching my hammock in favor of one of these. I`m sure I could cobble up some type of tarp for foul weather but other than that this system has a lot of appeal. A couple of these hanging in the living room and we could ditch the couch.

Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Therm-a-rest Trekker with a 20x72 Therm-a-rest Prolite Plus Pad.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 AM

On the Appalachian Trail I use a 12" x 12" square of yoga mat that weighs 3 oz

Granted, it's not a chair but very light and comfortable enough.

Seeing as I mostly shelter hop I don't need any sort of backrest as a shelter wall does that.

In the field there are plenty of rocks and logs to put the mat on when things are damp.

I use a 3/4 length sleep pad so the "sit pad" is also a "foot pad" when sleeping.

Yoga mats are thinner and less bulky than the cheap blue mats found in the camping department of the big box stores.

They are also way more expensive.

But I scrounged a piece of material from a yoga mat abandoned at a campsite on the Trail down in GA.

I "field tested" it for 12 weeks on the Trail last year with good results.

Last edited by tonto : 06-14-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Backpack: Mariposa Plus / REI Flash 65
Sleeping Gear: Eureka Silver City / Lafuma WnL 600
Shelter: Tarptent Squall 2 / Appy Trails Mark V

If I carry a chair then it will be a Crazy Creek Hexalite Power Lounger. The extended leg flap keeps you off the ground and can be used under your sleeping pad to protect the pad and also for extra cushion.

I guess it isn't incredibly light but it rolls up and fits in a backpack side pocket. Some die hards can use this as their only sleeping pad but I need more cushion.

Glenn
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 06-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member
Backpack: Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Sleeping Gear: BA Q-Core SL, WM Versalite
Shelter: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

I hike high, treeless alpine terrain. There are no logs, and flat rocks are rare. I tried sitting on a foam pad but found sitting on the ground hurt both my knees and my back (not so much my bottom). I used to eye my backpacking mates with envy as they lounged in their chairs. I invested in the REI Flexlite (1lb, 12oz). It's worth the weight. My total pack weight is still under 30lbs including all consumables and a bear canister, so I don't feel like I'm abusing myself too much.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

The lightest, most compact lounge-type chair is Kifaru's Field Chair. I have the original version the Mountainsmith Power Lounger. Very comfortable, but you are sitting on the ground so as you get older, getting up gets harder. The bipod support for the back will sink into snow or soft earth.

The Therm-A-Rest Compac chair is light and comfortable and is usable on snow, but it is also very low.

I also have, and like, the Roll-A-Chair. It has a backrest, but isn't a lounger, and is also bulkier and heavier than the others but it does have the advantage of being more like a standard chair in seat height so it's easier for this old man to get into and out of.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I have a Alite Monarch Butterfly Chair that I took on a 4 day trip to the 7 Devils near Hell's Canyon, Id. At a little over 1 lb its not bad but I've decided to switch to a UL hammock. Not a camping hammock but a fishnet style. One of my hiking partners had one on the trip and it was a delight to relax in while taking in the scenery. The hammock weighed less and had less bulk.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Backpack: Granite Gear Leopard 58 AC KI or Deuter Aircontact 50L
Sleeping Gear: Thermarest NeoLite XL womens, Big Agnes Roxy Ann
Shelter: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

These are my favorite: