Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

What is the most comfortable Chair

I have not taken a chair back packing in over 25 years, but now that I am getting older and taking shorter trips:

What is the most comfortable camp chair?

Has any one tried both the old sling-light & the crazy creek version?

How do the weights compare?

What do you use?

What have you seen used?

What would you do if you did it over again?

Thanks
Please Consider PBF Sponsors
Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Hi Trailtoa,

I've been using an older version of this Therma-rest chair for many years.

While I don't bring it with me that often, I find that my aging body is always glad when I do!

Mine weighs 10 oz. and is a breeze to store and set up.

I especially like to have it along during bug season, when I would prefer to sit in my chair in the tent to read or journal in the evenings, rather than donate blood...

I figure, it's only a few more oz. more than all that bug repellant ! lol

Perkolady
Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 PM

stool

I've been taking a 3 legged stool from Campmor that weighs 16 oz.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

Well, I have fallen asleep in my Slinglight a couple of times so I can say with some authority that it's the most comfortable for me...that said, people with bad knees may find it too low...I love it's headrest...so restful...for those unfamiliar with the most lightest, most expensive backpacking chair available as of now, here are a couple of pictures...

Weight is the main difference between the Crazy Creek and the Slinglight from what I can see but I've not talked to anyone who has the Crazy Creek...
Old 05-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Mataharihiker, could you please weigh your chair & headreast for me? I want to know what the actual weight is, not necessarly what is the vendors claimed weight.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I too have been using a Thermarest chair sleeve. Quite comfortable.
10oz. Isn't in the ultralight zone, but worth it, even though I carry a light pack most of the time.

Been thinkin' about getting some lighter weight fabric and using the chair as a pattern to see if I can get it down to 5 oz or so.
Aquaponics 4 You
Old 05-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

I have been using a Crazy Creek original chair since 1998.

I have recently bought a thermarest chair since I was testing a thermarest pad. I like the thermarest chair better because it is easier to pack than the Crazy Creek, but I will probably switch back to the CC come summer when I am no longer carrying my thermarest pad.

Jason B
Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

Try the Kifaru field chair - esentially a Cordura sheet supported by a bipod. It's a bit more omfortable with a seat pad inserted. Good back support and very comfortable while lightweight. The only negative is that you are sitting on the ground. I have a couple of the earlier, and no longer available Mountainsmith Power Lounger. On snow or very soft ground the bipod feet can sink into the ground. For those times I use the Therm-A-Rest Compac chair with my ProLite pad

Kifaru is also introducing an ultralight folding chair but it is still in the testing phase so not avalable yet.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Backpack: Dana Astralplane
Sleeping Gear: Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree
Shelter: Marmot Aura 2p

Another vote for the Slinglight. I have had several since the mid-80's. It is light, easy to attach to the outside of the pack, and way more comfortable than any other chair I have tried. Being off the ground is priceless. Why would you want to use a chair that rests on the ground (gets wet/muddy or dusty) and also forces your legs to rest upon the ground in order to keep the chair stable?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

I've got an Alite Monarch Butterfly Chair.

Alite-Monarch-Butterfly-Chair.jpg

Takes a little getting used to at first... for sitting down, balancing, and getting out of. Once mastered though, you can (almost) fall asleep in it. I call it my Sobriety Chair, as it requires some motor control. It makes for laughs when I demonstrate to others what happens beyond the tipping point. *WHOMP*, feet straight up in the air. It's comfortable to me, but some might find the upper supports can dig into the back shoulder/armpit area. Other folding chairs have the same issue.

You can scoot your butt back into it and sit upright, or you can lean back, put your legs out, and recline. Even rock like a rocker. Weighs 18 oz. Got it for $60, but the prices are now coming down.

I tried the Therm-a-Rest type chairs and didn't like the on-the-ground feel of them. Plus the Alite has a gadgety coolness to it. I like the sound of the frame snapping into place just like tent poles.

I read a review somewhere in which the reviewer couldn't get past the butterfly logo. He had to get something a bit manlier. The little butterfly didn't scare me.