Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > General Gear Discussion
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

General Gear Discussion The General Gear Discussion forum is for the discussion of traditional and lightweight (ultralight) backpacking gear that is not covered in other Practical Backpacking™ forums. [Please post about Backpacks, Shelters, Sleeping Gear, Backcountry Kitchen (Food, Stoves) in those respective forum areas.]

View Poll Results: Does Gear Color Matter?
Yes, it matters 106 42.06%
Somewhat 128 50.79%
No, not at all 18 7.14%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

Color definitely matters to me. Unlike some other, I consider the color of my gear to be a part of its function (i.e. bright orange potty trowel, forest green tarp). There are times when I have passed up excellent deals on gear or clothing that I want due to the color. Because I do a lot of solo hiking or hike with my mom, I prefer not to be seen from a mile away. My summer hiking shirts are blue, green, and dark red. My winter clothing was chosen with less focus on color. My shirts are purple, blue, green, and dark pink, and I have a green fleece and blue down jacket. It is extremely difficult to purchase women's outdoors clothing with stealth camping techniques in mind. If you flip through the REI spring catalogue, much of the men's clothing is dark, subdued earth tones, while the women's are all bright. Even the greens are unnatural (lime green instead of sage). It does seem like men's clothing is getting brighter as well, but most styles at have at least one earthy color. Women's outdoor clothing colors is one of my pet peeves, and I could probably rant about it all day...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Yep. Color matters to me. There are some colors I just won't wear or use, so it'll turn me off of a product really quickly. Generally, I like subdued colors, but I do like rich blues and have a few products like that.

Tom
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Osprey - Stratos 40, Aether 70
Sleeping Gear: Marmot Sawteeth
Shelter: GoLite ShangriLa 3

I, too, said yes, and agree with many who have said that natural/earth tones are best for MOST of my gear. However, I like to have at least one piece of clothing to attract attention should I need to, and I completely agree with the small object/bright color theory. I looked for brown lighter once in a pile of fall leaves - not again!
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

It does for me to an extent. There are some colors that I hate. I like subdued or Earth-tone colors. BUT, If the features of the gear are amazing, I'll still buy it even if I don't like the color (case in point: my new Insulmat Thermo pad).

One thing that really bothers me is when everything is the same color. I can't stand it if I'm wearing a green pack, green fleece, green pants and a green tent. I don't know why but I like to have things differentiated.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

And now for something different

A serious comment for a change . Sorry about this.
Here in Australia certain types of flies are attracted by blue colored clothing, so I avoid them. This theory is contradicted by most , but my fly count on different colours tell me otherwise. That is the reason I have changed from that to dark greens/gray and black. I don't use insect repellents.
Franco
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 AM

If you ever see me hiking you will realize that color is not a determining factor in making a purchase. Although if I have a choice i will go for natural colors. Of course with things like my Kiva with a choice between Apricot and Wasabi it was tough. I went with Apricot figuring it might be better to have a bright color in winter, for possible S&R.
I think mute colors play into the LNT practices. In most situations my camp is very hard to spot from fairly close.
Please Consider PBF Partners
Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Somewhat.

For someone that began their camping "career" in white or bright green massive Scout tents and then progressed to bright orange Force Ten tents, I am not overly concerned about being stealthy when it comes to shelters. However, when it comes to clothing and packs, I'm a little more discreet but that's more vanity than any kind of attempt to blend in to the surroundings. Hehe.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Natural Colors "best"

Wear the colors you like. Nature's colors are full spectrum so that's a wide choice. (It does not include DA-GLO red, orange, yellow or green) I don't use DA-GLO colors with the exception of my DA-GLO orange ripstop 3'X3' signal panel.)

I like SUBDUED TENT COLORS. Darker colors give more shade. If you're sick during the day, and need to rest, a subdued color beats a bright yellow interior anytime.

Sometimes I like CAMO PATTERNS. I have a lot of camo hunting gear. Sometimes it ends up going camping... keeps you inconspicuous.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 AM

Form, Fit, Function, then Fashion.
This drives my wife crazy, i.e. I bought a pair of shorts, really like them so I went and got two more pairs, Now, I don't really worry about what other people think when they see me in the same shorts day after day But my wife does.

In hiking gear nobody seams to care and I LIKE that.

I voted somewhat, I like colors that hide dirt. and at the sametime I got a 'blaze' color Go-Lite wind shirt.

Sandy B
Old 02-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Earthtones: Outta sight outta mind

When I go backpacking it is often for the solitude. When I spot other hikers from a distance I may have never seen them if they would have been wearing earthtone colors. I've seen bright colors over long distances before (nearly a mile) and for me they contribute to a crowded feeling.

Because solitude is so important to my enjoyment I don't want to negatively affect the enjoyment of others seeking solitude. As a result most all my gear is green, brown, tan, black or camo and I camp in a stealthy manner.

I will not consider obscenely colored gear (not counting small items like lighters, etc.) even if they would be truly functional. I wish gear makers would wake up and give us at least 1 earthtone color as a choice.
Sponsored links