Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Safety & Sustenance > Backpacker's Health & Safety
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Backpacker's Health & Safety The Backpacker's Health & Safety forum is for the discussion of health and safety/survival issues that directly relate to backpackers.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:19 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Regular Member

I carry ID in two places.

My driver's license, credit cards, money, etc are in a ziplok bag in the stash pocket of my pack; pretty standard routine for most hikers.

I also carry a small notebook/journal in my shirt pocket. Inside the front cover, I write my name, address, phone number, blood type, and ICE contact info. I wrap this heavier cover with clear plastic tape to make it smear and waterproof. Any extra space is used to record phone numbers I might need during the course of my hike.

I had more than enough of dogtags in the military. The only things on the cord around my neck when I hike are a whistle, knife, and photon light.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Practical Backpacking™ New Member

Bearpaw's tattoo...

Bearpaw,
You just have to post a picture of your tattoo...
I've been saying that I'm going to do the same thing.
I figure it will come in handy when I wander away from the old folks home, someday. (I'm just going "hiking sonny....")
Happy New Year!
Scooterman
Old 12-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Wow, extreme stuff.
For most of us, though, there is a bare minimum that emergency folk really appreciate: A simple laminated card you can run up on a spreadsheet and reduce to credit-card size when laminated.
Name
SSN
Insurance #
DOB
PCP
ICE
Blood type
Allergies
Medical problems
Meds

It's a good idea to carry something like this all the time anyway.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Golite Pinacle
Sleeping Gear: JRB Shenandoah quilt
Shelter: MLD Cuben Grace Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearpaw
While in the Marine Corps, I worked in one of the few airborne (parachute) units in the Corps. My unit specialized in small teams dedicated to calling in naval gunfire and a host of close air supports options.

I just jumped with some of your ANGLICO brothers down in Florida last weekend! Great guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
For most of us, though, there is a bare minimum that emergency folk really appreciate: A simple laminated card you can run up on a spreadsheet and reduce to credit-card size when laminated.
Name
SSN
Insurance #
DOB
PCP
ICE
Blood type
Allergies
Medical problems
Meds

I'm with spock on this one. I carry a laminated card with my important info attached directly inside my pack.

No insult directed toward anyone here on the board but I disagree with putting some info that has been discussed...and here's why:

Not that I am paranoid but I'm not too big on throwing my SSAN around; especially when combining it with my DOB, address etc. Example: What happens when one of our fine TSA security "professionals", that goes through a stringent selection process and gets outstanding pay based on all of their "experience' (sarcasm intended), is rooting through your bag while you're flying out for a big trip and stumbles across that identity theft opportunity?

I understand that some state drivers licenses use your SSAN for a DL number and sometimes you can't avoid providing that information but I would recommend limiting that as much as possible.

The other thing that I find unnecessary is marking things with your blood type. I see this a LOT over in Iraq and Afghanistan on my fellow military members and civilian contractors..and I see it slowly creeping over to civilian law enforcement, etc. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The biggest reason is that you're not going to get a blood transfusion unless you are at a major medical treatment facility...which WILL type you before they go pumping blood into you...and WILL NOT rely on a patch, laminated card, or dog tags to let them know your blood type. Here's another point: I've been deployed with some of the finest combat medics in the military....from all four services...and they have never carried blood with them when they go out.

Anyone know of any SAR or EMS organizations that carry blood with them?

Once again, not trying to be a jerk or anything, just a couple of things to think about...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Valued Member

I carry my ID, my son's ID, our health insurance cards, and whatever money/CC's I am carrying on me at all times when backpacking. I don't carry it in my pack, since if I get seperated, I want it with me! Due to an ID theft that occured many years ago, I also carry with me laminated legal paperwork that has my fingerprints on it, plus I carry my CPL paperwork. All this fits in one small ziploc bag, well sealed.
As for medical stuff: It doesn't matter who I hike with, on every trip they know where my meds are stored in my pack, and what I take and what for. My meds are well marked. On long trips I carry a back up of them, in another person's pack for safety! I keep 3 days worth of meds in my first aid kits (both of them!) just in case I ever get lost, I won't be screwed.

As for ID: I carry it with me, because I'd hate to not be recognized and be treated as a Jane Doe if it ever happened. On the other hand, I have had extensive dental work done, I have tatoos, and my fingerprints are on file with the FBI. So I probably shouldn't worry as much as I do!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone.

I normally bring along identification and a health insurance card, but I don't always have them on me. I like the idea of the dog tags... Inexpensive and light weight.
Please Consider PBF Partners
The Paleo Recipe Book
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM

I just got my road id in and it looks nice. I like the road id because you can put all sorts of medical info on the site and a first responder can call it up. I do a lot of running and play rugby with my school (we don't have much of an emergency plan on the rugby team, so i need something on me so i'm not dependant on them to tell the ambulance about my history), and i need id for those activities. I will be carrying it on my hikes as well.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member

For the last couple of years I've been carrying an ALL-ETT Junior/European Billfold all of the time, not just for backpacking. It is about as minimalistic as a wallet can get at .11 oz. I carry a small amount of cash, one CC, drivers license, military (retired) ID, medical insurance card, and a small laminated card with emergency data including a brief health history and precription medication taken.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM

driver's license, american express, visa, some cash, 10-20 in a ziplock.
Your Visit to These Sites Helps Support PBF
Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Practical Backpacking­™ Associate Member
Backpack: SMD Comet
Sleeping Gear: WM Ultralight/KookaBay custom insulated air pad
Shelter: Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic

I don't want to leave anything in my parked car that has value (including my identity), so I bring the following: keys, drivers license, car insurance card, car registration, HMO card, one debit card, one credit card, small amount of cash. In addition I have a printed list of emergency contacts and my health info (I'm allergic to iodine) on a small list. All this fits into a ziplock snack bag which goes into a special pocket inside the top part of my pack.

I use the ICE system on my cell phone, too (it has been recommended for the US as well), but I don't take my cell phone backpacking (no reception even at the trailhead for most places out here in the Pacific Northwest).