Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Shelters
HOME FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Shelters The Shelters forum is for the discussion of backpacking shelters (tents, tarps, poncho-tarps, bivy sacks,...).

Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member

Replacing Moss Little Dipper - Tunnel Design Better?

I'm looking for some advice from the Hilleberg users here on the PBF.

I have used (lightly) my Moss Little Dipper now for a few years, but am looking for a lighter, possibly smaller replacement for 4-season use.

The things I have liked about the Little Dipper are the two doors, excellent ventilation, and absolute bomb proof pitch. Here in Kansas, the stability in extreme winds comes in handy on spring and summer afternoons when afternoon or evening thunderstorms move in. I know my Little Dipper has been through 70 MPH winds with no issues.

I use an MSR Zoid2 for car camping in warm weather, and a TarpTent Cloudburst2 with sewn-in floor for lightweight backpacking. My point here is to show that I'm familiar with non-free-standing tents. I do see the value of a free-standing tent, but am not hung-up on having a 4-season tent that requires staking.

I requested a Hilleberg catalog and am most interested in their tunnel design tents, primarily because of the space vs weight balance. Typically, I share the Little Dipper with one other person, but once or twice have shared with two others. I need my new tent to have room for two 6'+ adults and their winter gear. I like dual doors with the at least one vestibule large enough to store all the gear.

Will the Hilleburg tunnel tents withstand the type of winds I have experienced in my Little Dipper? Will the tunnel designs ventilate well in warmer weather, when I want the 4-season tent for thunderstorm wind protection more than warmth? Should I keep the Moss Tent and just carry the extra weight?

jay (a1l3n)