Practical Backpacking™ Forums

Welcome to Practical Backpacking™ Forums (PBF).

You are currently viewing PBF as a guest which has limited access. By becoming a PBF member, you will have full access to view and participate in tens of thousands of informative discussions, to view links and attachments (photos), and will gain access to other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free! Click to Become a PBF Member! Be sure to also explore the Practical Backpacking Podcast.

Go Back   Practical Backpacking™ Forums > Practical Backpacking™ Gear Discussion > Gear List
HOME Register FAQ PBF GUIDELINES BLOG PODCAST GALLERY STORE CALENDAR Mark Forums Read

Gear List The Gear List forum is the place to post your actual backpacking gear list, and to read what others have in their packs. Don't forget to specify weight.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM
© 2006-2016 Practical Backpacking™ / All Rights Reserved
Practical Backpacking™ Junior Member
Backpack: Osprey Atmos 65L
Sleeping Gear: Western Mountaineering Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
You mentioned a trowel in one of your posts. I've tried several, from the orange Coghlan's to a green thing I picked up at a big box retailer, to the iPood (the name is better than the trowel) and found my favorite a year or so back. It's the QiWiz Big Dig, made of titanium. It is a bit pricey compared to the others, however, you only have to buy it once, and I'm sure I spent that much on all my others. The Big Dig is practically indestructible, cuts through anything and only weighs a half ounce or so. A search will get you to his website, where he has a number of lightweight products available.

Thanks for the info! I will check them out!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Rab is a Scottish outdoor clothing and gear maker. They're well known in
the UK, and carried by not so mainstream outfitters in the US. The Xenon
is the jacket I was interested in. Primaloft One 60g/sq.m loft, 2 hand
pockets, 3rd chest pocket is stuff sack, drawstring at the hem. plus hood.(13.5 oz). Hoping to get by a retailer carrying
them to touch, see & feel eventually.
As for that Zeus down jacket, thats a fine piece of gear. Just might need a little
more care when wet outside. Down will compress much smaller and last
longer if you treat it right. Good investment.
Regarding weight of gear, in general, sort of depends. If hiking to hike, trim
everything to the bone … enjoy the hike. If hiking to camp, or short trips, I
don't let a few oz worry me.
For example:
My Cook kit
Evernew .9l ti pot -------3.9oz
Clikstand ti stove --------2.0oz
Esbit Alcohol burner -----3.9oz
ti Windscreen ------------0.7oz
Total ----10.5oz
That esbit alcohol burner at 3.9oz is still too much weight for hiking.
But it fits well in my stove, has a snuff-simmer ring, and a lid that seals
tightly so any remaing alcohol can be sealed & used next burn instead
of burning it off ,,, & it doesn't leak.
But for a long trek, it stays home and the fancy feast cat food can (.4oz) takes its
place. Now even at 7 oz my system is too much for some. Set the pot straight
down on the cat can, and improvise an aluminum foil paperclip windscreen.
You can get it down to around 4 or 5oz or so. Lots of flexibility about what you can do.
Just depends on what your agenda is … hike, camp, or a little of both.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM

My agenda is definitely to hike. My girlfriend has more of a camp agenda. This last trip, I was trying to do both. After the last weekend, I think she is feeling more excited about the hiking aspect. I was really impressed with her getting up in the morning and immediately packing her pack.

I recently read Andrew Skurka's book and became more interested in Tarp Tents. Specifically the MLD tents. I think I may look into cutting some weight with one of these. If anyone has some experience with these, let me know. I am also interested in a inner netting.

I will probably go ahead and make an alcohol stove this weekend and look into an Evernew Pot.

I checked out the Rab website. Looks like good stuff, but if I cant find a local place to check one out, I may scratch that idea. I'm also interested in the Montbell Thermawrap or the Patagonia Nano Puff. On another note, I was also interested in the R1 Hoody.
Please Click to Visit These Sites
Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Practical Backpacking­™ Forums Moderator
Backpack: Gregory Shasta, Deuter ACT Lite 65+10
Sleeping Gear: REI ThermoPod +0 mummy, MH 3D +40 mummy
Shelter: SD Superflash, GoLite Hut 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
You mentioned a trowel in one of your posts. I've tried several, from the orange Coghlan's to a green thing I picked up at a big box retailer, to the iPood (the name is better than the trowel) and found my favorite a year or so back. It's the QiWiz Big Dig, made of titanium. It is a bit pricey compared to the others, however, you only have to buy it once, and I'm sure I spent that much on all my others. The Big Dig is practically indestructible, cuts through anything and only weighs a half ounce or so.
Didn't know about this one before. I've always used a sharpened U-dig-it, which is stainless steel, and pretty heavy. I liked it because it's indestructible (snapped an orange trowel once), and I could sharpen it (archaeologists often sharpen their excavation mason's trowels to get through really tough soil and roots - when ya gotta go fast and the ground is hard or full of roots, sharp is real good). These titanium ones are pricey, but I bet you could sharpen them, and they do look real useful. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by GGervin : 11-09-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 AM

I checked out the Big Dig and will probably pull the trigger on it. I doubt I will take it with me during the warmer months, but I know it will come in handy when the ground hardens over the winter.

I just bought a Patagonia R1 Hoody. I found a 30% coupon and thought it was a great deal. I should have it in a few days and will let you guys know what I think.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Backpack: Granite Gear Leopard 58 AC KI or Deuter Aircontact 50L
Sleeping Gear: Thermarest NeoLite XL womens, Big Agnes Roxy Ann
Shelter: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

DIY Coffee Can cookset - lightweight and versatile

Another pot to consider is a DIY coffee can. It actually weighs less than the MSR Titanium Kettle. And you can pack your whole cookset inside depending on your equipment.

Weight of coffee can, handle, and lid: 3.75oz

The reason for that particular coffee can is two-fold: It's not lined (so nothing to break down and mix with your food when heated) and it has a built-in measuring mechanism.

It fits on my MSR Microrocket and on my Emberlit UL wood stove.

I added a smaller can to use as a cup and as a backup for heating water. I made a cozy for it. A plastic camp cup (Coulgans) also fits.

I can pack my cup, lid for cup, cozy, Microrocket stove, lighter, folding spork, and a can of fuel inside the can.

Weight of large can with lid and handle: 3.75oz
Weight of both cans, both lids, and cozy: 5.75oz
Weight of both cans, both lids, cozy, Microrocket, lighter, spork: 9.37oz
Weight of all INCLUDING full can of fuel: 16.87oz

This is everything that's inside the can:

Everything you see above AND a can fuel will fit inside and allow the lid to go on:

Large can on the MSR Microrocket:

Smaller can also fits on the Microrocket, so you can heat your tea/cocoa separately for convenience.

On the Emberlit UL:

It's super easy to make. You just need a "safety" can opener and if you want a lid to fit your large can exactly, you'll need to buy two cans of coffee. My parents drink the stuff, so no money wasted.

I really like the idea that I can hang this above a fire if needed. Sometimes stoves go bad

Shannon
Sponsored links